Reaction forces due to imbalance of a shaft

In summary, the shaft carries two particles of mass m, and rotates about the z-axis with the constant angular velocity ##\omega##. The x- and y-components of the bearing due to imbalance are determined using the moment equation and the equation for the overlying surface area.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

The shaft carries two particles of mass m, and rotates about the z-axis with the constant angular velocity ##\omega##. Determine the x- and y-component of the bearing due to imbalance.
QLfdH8V.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Rotation only around the ##z-##axis so ##\omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## and ##\boldsymbol{\omega }=\omega \boldsymbol{\hat{k}}##. Since ##\dot{\omega}=0## we have:
##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\sum M_{x}=I_{yz}\omega^2\\ \sum M_{y}=-I_{xz}\omega^2
\\

\end{matrix}\right.##
I have trouble now. Is it correct that for ##M_{y}##, only forces acting perpendicular to y-axis that should be accounted for? We also see that the intersection of points of the ##xz-##plane and the two sphere's are none so that means that ##I_{xz}=0##(Is this even correct??). And ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}-mR\frac{2L}{3}##

Physics news on Phys.org
zeralda21 said:

Homework Statement

The shaft carries two particles of mass m, and rotates about the z-axis with the constant angular velocity ##\omega##. Determine the x- and y-component of the bearing due to imbalance.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/QLfdH8V.jpg[/PLAIN]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rotation only around the ##z-##axis so ##\omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## and ##\boldsymbol{\omega }=\omega \boldsymbol{\hat{k}}##. Since ##\dot{\omega}=0## we have:
##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\\

\end{matrix}\right.##

I have trouble now. Is it correct that for ##M_{y}##, only forces acting perpendicular to y-axis that should be accounted for? We also see that the intersection of points of the ##xz-##plane and the two sphere's are none so that means that ##I_{xz}=0##(Is this even correct??). And ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}-mR\frac{2L}{3}##
I recommend starting with a Free Body Diagram of the shaft, considering the two particle masses to be external to the shaft.

Alright. Did you read my attempt? Would like to know if I am all wrong or somehow correct.

The FBD contains the two particles, each with a gravitational force ##mg## acting in negative ##x##. We have a parallel-plane motion with constant rotation in ##z-##axis, hence the moment equations:

##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\\

\end{matrix}\right.##

For the moment equation about##y-##axis we need to determine ##I_{yz}##.

##I_{yz}=\int yz {\mathrm{d} m}## and from here I don't know how to proceed and establish the integral.

Since I don't know how to set up the integral I could bypass that by using

##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}## for each particle(or is it only for rigid bodies?), hence

##I_{yz}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}## for particle 1 and ##I_{yz}=0+m(-R)\frac{2L}{3}## for the second.

Last edited:

1. What is a reaction force due to an imbalance of a shaft?

A reaction force due to an imbalance of a shaft is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the imbalance in order to maintain balance. It is caused by the unequal distribution of mass in a rotating object, such as a shaft, and can lead to vibration and potentially damaging effects if not properly addressed.

2. How is a reaction force due to an imbalance of a shaft calculated?

The magnitude of a reaction force due to an imbalance of a shaft can be calculated using the formula F = mω^2r, where F is the reaction force, m is the mass of the rotating object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point of imbalance.

3. What causes an imbalance in a shaft?

An imbalance in a shaft can be caused by various factors such as uneven distribution of mass, manufacturing defects, wear and tear, or improper installation. These imbalances can be small and difficult to detect, but can have significant effects on the performance and longevity of the shaft.

4. What are the effects of an imbalance in a shaft?

An imbalance in a shaft can result in increased vibration, noise, and stress on the components, leading to potential failure or damage. It can also cause reduced efficiency and accuracy in the operation of the shaft, affecting the overall performance of the system it is a part of.

5. How can an imbalance in a shaft be corrected?

To correct an imbalance in a shaft, the first step is to identify the location and magnitude of the imbalance using specialized equipment such as a balancing machine. The next step is to add or remove mass from the shaft at specific locations to achieve balance. This can be done by using counterweights, drilling holes, or adding weights. It is important to carefully balance the shaft to minimize the reaction forces and ensure smooth operation.