1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction forces due to imbalance of a shaft

1. Apr 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The shaft carries two particles of mass m, and rotates about the z-axis with the constant angular velocity ##\omega##. Determine the x- and y-component of the bearing due to imbalance.

QLfdH8V.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Rotation only around the ##z-##axis so ##\omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## and ##\boldsymbol{\omega }=\omega \boldsymbol{\hat{k}}##. Since ##\dot{\omega}=0## we have:
    ##\left\{\begin{matrix}
    \sum M_{x}=I_{yz}\omega^2\\ \sum M_{y}=-I_{xz}\omega^2
    \\

\end{matrix}\right.##

I have trouble now. Is it correct that for ##M_{y}##, only forces acting perpendicular to y-axis that should be accounted for? We also see that the intersection of points of the ##xz-##plane and the two sphere's are none so that means that ##I_{xz}=0##(Is this even correct??). And ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}-mR\frac{2L}{3}##

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I recommend starting with a Free Body Diagram of the shaft, considering the two particle masses to be external to the shaft.

4. Apr 19, 2014 #3
    Alright. Did you read my attempt? Would like to know if I am all wrong or somehow correct.

The FBD contains the two particles, each with a gravitational force ##mg## acting in negative ##x##. We have a parallel-plane motion with constant rotation in ##z-##axis, hence the moment equations:

##\left\{\begin{matrix}
    \sum M_{x}=I_{yz}\omega^2\\ \sum M_{y}=-I_{xz}\omega^2
    \\

\end{matrix}\right.##

For the moment equation about##y-##axis we need to determine ##I_{yz}##.

##I_{yz}=\int yz {\mathrm{d} m}## and from here I don't know how to proceed and establish the integral.

Since I don't know how to set up the integral I could bypass that by using

##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}## for each particle(or is it only for rigid bodies?), hence

##I_{yz}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}## for particle 1 and ##I_{yz}=0+m(-R)\frac{2L}{3}## for the second.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted