1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of a rod rotating about an axis

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'll provide a picture for clearer understanding. The problem is to calculate the angular momentum of the rod rotating about the z-axis. I have serious difficulties in deriving the inertia matrix, that's all I need help with.

19Nguqj.jpg

Progress

Since the rod is rotating about the z-axis ##\Rightarrow \omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## the angular momentum simplifies to

## \boldsymbol{L}_{O}=-I_{xz}\omega _{z}\hat{\mathbf{i}}-I_{yz}\omega _{z}\boldsymbol{\hat{j}}+I_{zz}\omega_{z}\boldsymbol{\hat{k}} ##

Split the rod in three parts (SEE FIGURE) and calculate for each body.

I have correct terms for body A.

For B:

##I_{xz}=\overline{I}_{xz}+md_{x}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(0)(\frac{b}{2})=0##
    ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(b)(\frac{b}{2})=\frac{1}{2}\rho b^3##
    (Wrong)##I_{zz}=\overline{I}_{zz}+md^2 = 0 + (\rho b)(b^2+(\frac{b}{2})^2)=\frac{5}{4}\rho b^3## (d is distance from midpoint of B to origin O)

For C:

##I_{xz}=\overline{I}_{xz}+md_{x}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(\frac{b}{2})(b)=\frac{1}{2}\rho b^3##
    ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(b)(b)=\rho b^3##
    (Wrong)##I_{zz}=\overline{I}_{zz}+md^2 = \frac{1}{3}(\rho b)(b^2)+(\rho b)((2b^2)^2+(\frac{b}{2})^2)=\frac{55}{12}\rho b^3## (distance d is from midpoint of C to origin O)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Curious, why is Ibar_zz = 0? are you treating the radius to be zero? if that's the case then your md^2 term should be rho(b)(a^2) as a is the distance from the z axis. If you aren't taking the segment to have 0 radius, then Ibar_zz should be non zero, and your term for md^2 should be rho(b)(a+radius_b)^2, not (b^2 + b/2 ^2)

Follow that logic through with C. (how far is it from the z axis?)
    Also I believe you want 1/12 mr^2 for that rod, maybe not, I'm not up to par on moments of inertia, but I'm pretty sure a rod pivoted about one end is 1/12 mr^2.

But using the parallel axis theorem is the right place to start.

4. Apr 15, 2014 #3
    I think that since it is not mentioned about any radius we can safely assume it to be zero. What distance? The perpendicular distance? Or using Phytagorean ?

I think this is slighly better but still wrong..

For B:

##I_{zz}=\overline{I}_{zz}+md^2 = \frac{1}{3}(\rho b)(b^2)+(\rho b)(b^2+(\frac{b}{2})^2)=\frac{19}{12}\rho b^3 ##. I am not sure whether distance d is from the midpoint of B and or just the vertical distance because it is still wrong!

For C:

Correct it should be ##\frac{1}{12}(\rho b)(b^2)## since the distance of the mass particles to the axis varies. Still wrong..

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Oh wait, I didn't read the picture carefully enough. Replace all the a's with b's in the md^2 term

6. Apr 15, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Ok, so for A, it's cut and dry, [itex]\frac{1}{3} \rho b^3[/itex]because[itex] [(mb^2)=(\rho b)b^2][/itex]
    B, you have no moment before the axis shift, which leaves [itex]\rho b^3[/itex] after the shift
    C you have [itex]\frac{1}{3} mb^2 + md^2 = \frac{4}{3} \rho b^3[/itex]

I don't know where you're getting this [itex]\frac{b}{2}[/itex] term from.

Your total I about the z axis should be [itex]\frac{1}{3} \rho b^3 + \rho b^3 +\frac{4}{3} \rho b^3 = \frac{8}{3} \rho b^3[/itex]

The only thing that's throwing me for a loop is the C chunk, it's not rotating like a bar with one end on the axis... do you see what I'm saying? So this solution may or may not be good...

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted