Reading 'Gravitation', I need more background....

In summary, the conversation discusses the reader's lack of familiarity with mathematics and concepts related to special and general relativity, as well as their desire to learn more about these topics. The expert recommends starting with a book on special relativity before attempting more advanced texts like "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler (MTW). They also mention the importance of having a strong foundation in calculus before tackling advanced concepts in GR. Lastly, they suggest considering alternative textbooks such as "Gravity" by Hartle, which may be less demanding in terms of required mathematical knowledge.
dvdt
I've just reached the opening in chapter 2 wherein there's a brief discussion of concepts and math which should be familiar to the reader (Basic SR stuff it seems), and I'm not familiar with it unfortunately. I am familiar with future and past light cones, and the language of causality, but not the mathematics of, "Lorentz contraction, time dilation, absence of a universal concept of simultaneity... " nor am I more than glancingly familiar with, "4-Vectors in general, and the energy-momentum 4-vector, elementary Lorentz transformations, the Lorentz law for the force on a charged particle, at least one look at one equation in one book that refers to the electromagnetic field tensor..."

Obviously I have quite a lot to learn, including much of the basic math. To be clear, this is something I'm doing for personal enrichment, I don't need or expect to come out of this with the kind of skills someone studying this formally would. I'm just using 'Gravitation' as a broad guideline which helps me understand the many gaps in my knowledge I need to fill. What I'm lacking is knowledge of resources (like 'Gravitation') which can help me fill those gaps. I have access to online and offline courses (but I don't know which apply here), and I'd be more than happy to take the time to work through a textbook intended for either, but I don't know which would be helpful.

Any assistance in terms of a reading and/or course list would be extremely helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be hard to tell you what new things you need to know if you don't tell us what old things you already know.

Vanadium 50 said:
It will be hard to tell you what new things you need to know if you don't tell us what old things you already know.

I see, that's a good point. In terms of mathematics I've only been formally taught through what was called "Pre-calculus". Beyond that I know what I either learned in school in classes that were frankly unrelated to STR/GTR, and what I've pieced together over years of reading books like Prime Obsession, or textbooks like Gravitation. I've come to the point where I clearly need to focus on more fundamentals of the math involved, because my knowledge is sort of the typical autodidact's mix, with holes that no one who had a formal education in the subject would have.

I would say to be fair, that I know almost nothing, that to this point I've learned in bits and pieces where I could while trying to skirt some of the more unfamiliar mathematics. I found the first chapter of Gravitation pretty comprehensible from a heuristic point of view, but even I can see the limitations of that. Clearly when all of this is generalized to a curved spacetime I'm gong to be utterly lost as well.

Does that help you get an idea of my knowledge at all?

dvdt said:
Any assistance in terms of a reading and/or course list would be extremely helpful.
You aren't ready to take on MTW (or any other GR text) until you have a solid grasp of special relativity because that's where "the mathematics of Lorentz contraction, time dilation, absence of a universal concept of simultaneity" come in. So you'll want to try something like Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" as a stepping stone. Don't think of this as drudgery, an onerous chore to slog through before you get to the fun stuff - you will find a proper treatment of SR to be intriguing, fascinating, and fun in its own right, and the math is much less demanding.
dvdt said:
In terms of mathematics I've only been formally taught through what was called "Pre-calculus".
That will get you through special relativity, although you'll find yourself skipping over some of the fine points. However, there is just no way of taking on MTW without the equivalent of two years of calculus: One year to cover basic single-variable differential and integral calculus, the stuff that is taught in the high school advanced placement classes in the US; and one one year for basic multi-variable and vector calculus plus a nodding acquaintance with differential equations. You can learn this on your own in much less than two years if you had a good precalculus course and you were good at it, but you'll have to learn it.

You might also consider giving up on MTW and trying Hartle's "Gravity", which is less demanding. You'll still need the calculus, but much less of it.

Likes CalcNerd
Nugatory said:
You aren't ready to take on MTW (or any other GR text) until you have a solid grasp of special relativity because that's where "the mathematics of Lorentz contraction, time dilation, absence of a universal concept of simultaneity" come in. So you'll want to try something like Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" as a stepping stone. Don't think of this as drudgery, an onerous chore to slog through before you get to the fun stuff - you will find a proper treatment of SR to be intriguing, fascinating, and fun in its own right, and the math is much less demanding.

That will get you through special relativity, although you'll find yourself skipping over some of the fine points. However, there is just no way of taking on MTW without the equivalent of two years of calculus: One year to cover basic single-variable differential and integral calculus, the stuff that is taught in the high school advanced placement classes in the US; and one one year for basic multi-variable and vector calculus plus a nodding acquaintance with differential equations. You can learn this on your own in much less than two years if you had a good precalculus course and you were good at it, but you'll have to learn it.

You might also consider giving up on MTW and trying Hartle's "Gravity", which is less demanding. You'll still need the calculus, but much less of it.

I'm by no means wedded to any textbook or any of that, and your advice makes sense to me. If I'm getting this right, I should take some calculus courses from intro onward, focus on SR, Switch to 'Gravity', and change my thinking to something like (for me) a 4 year plan or so. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, because I'm not in a rush, I just want to learn it *eventually*. I just realized a few years ago that I'd run into the limits of what I could get from heuristic summaries, and I wanted to learn more; I'm not in this to contribute to the field in any way. This sounds like a sensible way to go.

Again, thanks.

FAQ: Reading 'Gravitation', I need more background....

1. What is the book "Gravitation" about?

"Gravitation" is a book that discusses the fundamental principles and theories of gravity. It covers topics such as the history of our understanding of gravity, the laws of motion, and the mathematics behind gravity.

2. Who are the authors of "Gravitation"?

The authors of "Gravitation" are renowned physicists Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler, who are all known for their contributions to the field of general relativity and gravitational physics.

3. Is "Gravitation" suitable for non-scientists?

While "Gravitation" is a comprehensive and in-depth book on gravity, it is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. The authors use analogies and examples to explain complex concepts, making it a great resource for anyone interested in learning about gravity.

4. What sets "Gravitation" apart from other books on gravity?

"Gravitation" is often praised for its clear and concise explanations of complex theories and its comprehensive coverage of the topic. It also includes many diagrams and illustrations to aid in understanding, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers alike.

5. Can "Gravitation" be used as a textbook for a course on gravity?

Yes, "Gravitation" is often used as a textbook for graduate courses on gravity and general relativity. It covers a wide range of topics and includes exercises and problems for further study, making it a useful resource for students and instructors.