1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Recommendation - Sun / Stellar Evolution

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    My apologies for starting a thread on a seemingly easy and searchable topic. But, alas, I've searched here, Amazon, google, Goodreads etc and wanted to get some recommendations.

Specifically book suggestions on The Sun and / or Stellar evolution. I've ran across several intriguing textbooks, but nothing really more for the advanced casual reader. A few equations and such don't bother me, but I'm curious if there are any out there that are more tailored to the layman or at least less dry than some (not all) textbooks. If it's a solid textbook, regardless, I'll take those suggestions too. :)

Thanks - If this has been answered somewhere I'll love a link.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean by "a bit more humanity" ?

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    Edited - I mean more layman oriented although if it's just a solid textbook thats too good to pass up I'd be interested still.

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Dina Prialnik's 'An Introduction to the Theory of Stellar Structure and Evolution' is an introductory college-level on the subject. You should expect equations and graphs in abundance, and if that's a something you'd normally skim over then you'll miss a large part of the book's appeal.
    On the other hand, the book also includes generous descriptive sections that should lend themselves to some reasonably deeper understanding.
    As a plus, you might get motivated to delve into an equation or two, maybe even brush on your maths.

Read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere for more in-depth description.

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5
    Great - I"ll check this one out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted