Real Analysis after Multivariable Calculus a bad idea?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of studying real analysis for a physics student and whether it is necessary or beneficial. Some argue that it is useful for higher level analysis courses and for developing mathematical maturity, while others suggest focusing on other subjects like linear algebra or differential equations. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's goals and available courses. The specific problem mentioned can also be solved using combinatoric arguments and does not necessarily require knowledge of mathematical analysis.
PeteyCoco
I studied from Multivariable Calculus by James Stewart this past year and thought that it would be worth reading another calculus text to fill in the gaps and to keep my skills sharp. While reading Advanced Calculus by David Widder, I came across this problem:

(Paraphrased from text)
Suppose a homogeneous polynomial of the nth order and of m variables. Show that the number of terms in the homogeneous polynomial can be described by [itex]\stackrel{m + n - 1}{n}[/itex]

This seems like a question that would require some knowledge of mathematical analysis, a course I have not taken. As a physics student, would I gain anything by studying real analysis? If not, what would you suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, real analysis is useful as a gateway course to more advanced analysis courses that are directly useful for physics. It was also indirectly useful by forcing a higher level of mathematical maturity.

Whether or not you should take analysis depends, what course would you have to give up to take it? If none, then it's absolutely worth it.

Also, that question does not need analysis, it can be treated with combinatoric arguments.

I do not think this requires mathematical analysis at all. Consider a couple of test cases. Example suppose we have 2 variables and second order. Sucha polynomial looks like:

[itex]ax^2 + bxy +cy^2[/itex].

Why would that be a bad idea? In many schools, multivariable calculus is actually a prereq for real analysis.

Real Analysis after Multivariable Calculus a bad idea?

I am also confused by the thread title. It seems like asking whether it is a good idea to open the door before getting into a car.

Sankaku said:
I am also confused by the thread title. It seems like asking whether it is a good idea to open the door before getting into a car.

The title is bad, I know. To make it clearer: I've made it through the first 2 chapters of Real Mathematical Analysis by Pugh and I'm thinking that my time would be better spent with a book on Linear Algebra or Differential Equations. That being said, I'll be taking courses on those two topics next semester so maybe I should study something I won't see in school.

PeteyCoco said:
The title is bad, I know. To make it clearer: I've made it through the first 2 chapters of Real Mathematical Analysis by Pugh and I'm thinking that my time would be better spent with a book on Linear Algebra or Differential Equations. That being said, I'll be taking courses on those two topics next semester so maybe I should study something I won't see in school.

Well, it really depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Analysis will take you further into the rigor behind calculus. As others have said, it is a pre-requisite for going deeper into mathematics, particularly anything in the mathematical side of physics.

However, one can never have too much Linear Algebra. Sometimes it just takes a little time before you want to attack a subject like Analysis, and brushing up on other subjects can give you more tools (and confidence). I don't think there is one right answer.

1. Is Real Analysis after Multivariable Calculus too difficult?

It depends on the individual's understanding and aptitude for mathematics. Real Analysis builds upon concepts from Multivariable Calculus, so a strong foundation in that subject is necessary. However, with dedication and practice, Real Analysis can be mastered.

2. Why is Real Analysis after Multivariable Calculus considered a bad idea?

Some students may find the transition from Multivariable Calculus to Real Analysis challenging due to the abstract nature of the subject. Additionally, Real Analysis involves more rigorous proofs and mathematical reasoning, which can be daunting for some students.

3. Can I skip Multivariable Calculus and go straight to Real Analysis?

It is not recommended to skip Multivariable Calculus and go straight to Real Analysis. Multivariable Calculus provides important concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding Real Analysis. Skipping Multivariable Calculus may result in gaps in knowledge that can make Real Analysis even more challenging.

4. Do I need a strong background in single-variable Calculus to do well in Real Analysis?

Yes, a solid understanding of single-variable Calculus is necessary for success in Real Analysis. Many concepts from single-variable Calculus are used and built upon in Real Analysis, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Without a strong foundation in single-variable Calculus, it may be difficult to fully grasp the concepts in Real Analysis.

5. How can I prepare for Real Analysis after Multivariable Calculus?

To prepare for Real Analysis after Multivariable Calculus, it is important to have a strong understanding of Multivariable Calculus concepts and techniques. It can also be helpful to review some basic single-variable Calculus concepts, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Additionally, practicing with proofs and working on developing mathematical reasoning skills can also be beneficial.