Real analysis - differential/sequence

In summary, differential calculus focuses on rates of change and slopes of curves, while real analysis is a broader field that deals with the study of real-valued functions and their properties. The main topics covered in real analysis include limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, sequences, and series. Sequences are important in real analysis for defining key concepts and studying function behavior. A sequence is a list of numbers, while a series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. Real analysis has applications in various fields of science, providing a rigorous framework for understanding real-world phenomena and systems.
foxofdesert

Homework Statement

I attached a .bmp file

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get this one at all. Since f is differentiable, the interval [a,b] must be continuous, and I cannot use rational/irrational tricks like in limit problems. does anyone have suggestions?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    178.9 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
should I just assume that x=c and xn -> c as n->inf?

1. What is the difference between differential calculus and real analysis?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while real analysis is a broader field that deals with the rigorous study of real-valued functions and their properties.

2. What are the main topics covered in real analysis?

The main topics covered in real analysis include limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, sequences, and series. These topics are essential for understanding the behavior of real-valued functions and their convergence.

3. What is the importance of sequences in real analysis?

Sequences play a crucial role in real analysis as they are used to define important concepts like limits, continuity, and convergence. They also provide a way to study the behavior of functions at specific points or over a range of values.

4. What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers arranged in a specific order, while a series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence.

5. How is real analysis applied in other fields of science?

Real analysis is a fundamental tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a rigorous framework for analyzing and understanding the behavior of real-world phenomena and systems.