Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: (Real Analysis) Find sets E\F and f(E)\f(F)

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem #11.

3. The attempt at a solution

My partial answer is attached. There, I found E\F. I still don't understand what is f(E) and f(F) and how to derive them from E and F.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    From #10 we know that f(E) = f(F). Thus, f(E)\f(F) = {} = [tex] \emptyset. [/tex] Can you get the rest?

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

f(E) = {f(x) | x ∈ E}

Does that make sense?

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

So f(E\F) is (-1=<x<0), which is NOT a subset of an empty set.
    Correct??

6. Aug 29, 2010 #5
    Not quite...almost there.

E\F = { -1 =< x < 0 }, not f(E\F). Find f(E\F). The final step's still the same and obvious.

7. Aug 29, 2010 #6
    My inability to understand is killing me. I am using this forum non-stop for the last 12 hours for Real Analysis questions. No progress on my part what so ever.

8. Aug 29, 2010 #7
    How are you going about teaching this to yourself? Which textbook are you using? Any other resources?

9. Aug 29, 2010 #8
    I only have one textbook, which is Real Analysis by Bartle and Sherbert. I've read the chapter many times and continue reading it. Thanks to your, Raskolnikov, comments, I have made some progress, but still very weak.
    I also have another online book. I haven't found any helpful online sources for dummies on Real Analysis.

10. Aug 29, 2010 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

E is a subset of the domain of the function f. f(E) is a subset of the codomain of f. It's the set that f maps elements of E onto.

If y is an element of f(E), then there's some x in E such that f(x)=y.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook