Real Analysis Problem involving Image of a Bounded Set

In summary, the professor said that if we have a continuous function from R to R, and look at the closure of the function, we can see that the image of the set is bounded. However, he said that there might not be a theorem that states this, so he is guessing there is a counter-example. The student tried to think of a way to prove this, but could not come up with a solution. He then thanked the professor for his time and patience.
brickcitie

Homework Statement

Ok so I'm given that we have some function from R to R, that is continuous on all of R. I am asked if it is possible to find some BOUNDED subset of R such that the image of the set is not bounded. The professor gave the hint: look at closures.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Been thinking about it for an hour. My first idea was to use 1/x, and let the subset of R be (0,1), but then I realized that 1/x is not continuous on all of R. I cannot think of any counter-example here, but I know that there is no theorem that states that if we have a continuous function the image of a bounded set is bounded, so I'm guessing there must be some counter-example to find.

Any help or direction would be wonderful. I thought about the closure hint and it got me nowhere at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the closure of a bounded set bounded? If yes, then the closure is closed and bounded...

I'm not quite sure how that helps though. How can I use that information to find a bounded set whose image is not bounded?

Well, maybe the image of a bounded set is always bounded...

Ok so then in that case I've been spinning my wheels trying to come up with a counter-example.

Any tips on how to begin the proof?

Well, start by showing that the closure of a bounded set is always closed and bounded.

Does "closed and bounded" not ring a bell?

Ok the closure of a bounded set is closed and bounded, and since I'm dealing with R then it is compact. I know that when dealing with a continuous function the image of a compact set is always compact. But that doesn't help if the set is open and bounded. This proof basically boils down to proving that using a continuous function the image of an open and bounded set must be bounded, in which case the image of any bounded set is bounded.

Not too sure how the closure comes into play here because you can just take the image of the set itself and not the closure. I appreciate all the responses, but I'm not sure if I understand where you are trying to steer me.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but a set which is not closed is not necessairily open. I say this, because I think you implicitly mentioned it.

As for the proof: Take a set A who is bounded. You have now shown that the closure of A is compact. We know that

[tex]A\subseteq \overline{A}[/tex]

Can you show now that

[tex] f(A)\subseteq f(\overline{A}) [/tex]?

AHA! I do know that a set that is not closed is not necessarily open, yet I seem to always get carried away during proofs and forget that.

I understand where you were leading me now. A very clever proof. Thanks so much for your time and patience micro, you help is duly appreciated.

1. What is real analysis and how is it related to bounded sets?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the use of mathematical tools and techniques to understand the behavior of real-valued functions. Bounded sets, on the other hand, refer to sets of numbers that have a finite upper and lower bound. Real analysis often involves studying the properties of functions on bounded sets to gain a deeper understanding of their behavior.

2. What is the definition of the image of a bounded set in real analysis?

The image of a bounded set in real analysis is the set of all values that a function takes when its input is from the bounded set. In other words, it is the set of all outputs or images produced by the function when the input is restricted to the bounded set. This can also be thought of as the range of the function on the bounded set.

3. Can a function have a bounded image on an unbounded set?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a bounded image on an unbounded set. This can happen when the function is restricted to a smaller subset of the unbounded set, which is itself a bounded set. In this case, the image of the function will be bounded, even though the original set is unbounded.

4. How is the concept of the image of a bounded set used in real analysis problems?

The image of a bounded set is a useful tool in real analysis problems as it helps to understand the behavior of a function on a restricted set of inputs. It can be used to determine the range of a function, identify maximum and minimum values, and prove properties of the function on the bounded set.

5. Can the image of a bounded set be unbounded?

No, the image of a bounded set cannot be unbounded. This is because a bounded set, by definition, has a finite upper and lower bound. Therefore, the image of the function on the bounded set will also have a finite range and cannot be unbounded.