Image of a f with a local minima at all points is countable.

In summary: No, it could be constant. It could be a step function (although there is a constraint on the steps - can you see what that is?). It could have isolated points.Must fff be increasing?Another idea: if the image is uncountable, then it must be uncountable in at least one of the intervals ##[n, n+1]##. That might help.Or, perhaps your original idea to use the density of ##\mathbb{Q}## might...work...somehow.I think this is it: For every ##x \in \Bbb{R}##, there is a corresponding ##\epsilon >0##. Then, there is no other number
Terrell

Homework Statement

Let ##f:\Bbb{R} \to \Bbb{R}## be a function such that ##f## has a local minimum for all ##x \in \Bbb{R}## (This means that for each ##x \in \Bbb{R}## there is an ##\epsilon \gt 0## where if ##\vert x-t\vert \lt \epsilon## then ##f(x) \leq f(t)##.). Then the image of ##f## is countable.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##f:\Bbb{R} \to \Bbb{R}## be a function such that ##f## has a local minimum for all ##x \in \Bbb{R}##. Consider the arbitrary interval ##(r- \epsilon, r+ \epsilon)##. Since if ##q \in \Bbb{Q}## is in ##(r - \epsilon, r+ \epsilon)##, then ##(r - \delta, r + \delta) \subset (r - \epsilon, r + \epsilon)## such that ##\vert q-r\vert=\delta##. Hence we can define a mapping ##g:f(\Bbb{R}) \to \Bbb{Q}## as ##g(f(r))=\delta##. Note that we can assign a unique correspondence between elements in ##f(\Bbb{R})## and ##\Bbb{Q}## due to the density property; which states ##\forall x,y\in\Bbb{R} \exists q' \in \Bbb{Q}, x \lt q' \lt y##. Since ##\Bbb{Q}## is countable then so is ##f(\Bbb{R})##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f:\Bbb{R} \to \Bbb{R}## be a function such that ##f## has a local minimum for all ##x \in \Bbb{R}## (This means that for each ##x \in \Bbb{R}## there is an ##\epsilon \gt 0## where if ##\vert x-t\vert \lt \epsilon## then ##f(x) \leq f(t)##.). Then the image of ##f## is countable.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##f:\Bbb{R} \to \Bbb{R}## be a function such that ##f## has a local minimum for all ##x \in \Bbb{R}##. Consider the arbitrary interval ##(r- \epsilon, r+ \epsilon)##. Since if ##q \in \Bbb{Q}## is in ##(r - \epsilon, r+ \epsilon)##, then ##(r - \delta, r + \delta) \subset (r - \epsilon, r + \epsilon)## such that ##\vert q-r\vert=\delta##. Hence we can define a mapping ##g:f(\Bbb{R}) \to \Bbb{Q}## as ##g(f(r))=\delta##. Note that we can assign a unique correspondence between elements in ##f(\Bbb{R})## and ##\Bbb{Q}## due to the density property; which states ##\forall x,y\in\Bbb{R} \exists q' \in \Bbb{Q}, x \lt q' \lt y##. Since ##\Bbb{Q}## is countable then so is ##f(\Bbb{R})##.

I don't see how your proof works. To take an example. Let ##r = 0## and ##\epsilon = 1##.

We can find ##q = 1/2##, say, and then ##g(f(0)) = q = 1/2##.

But, we could also choose ##q = 1/4## here.

And, if we take ##r = 0## and ##\epsilon = 0.1##, we would need a different ##q## again.

Likes Terrell
PeroK said:
But, we could also choose q=1/4q=1/4q = 1/4 here.
Yeah I know. However, it is not what I meant. I am having difficulty writing it precisely. But, I think I've found another way. For each ##x \in (r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)##, find an interval within ##(r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)## with rational endpoints containing ##x## and assign either one of the rational endpoints to ##x##. Would this work?

Last edited:
Terrell said:
Yeah I know. However, it is not what I meant. I am having difficulty writing it, precisely. But, I think I've found another way. For each ##x \in (r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)##, find an interval within ##(r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)## with rational endpoints containing ##x## and assign either one of the rational endpoints to ##x##. Would this work?

I don't see how. I don't know this problem, but here are my thoughts:

Why isn't ##f## simply the constant function?

How does ##f## change from one value to another?

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Why isn't fff simply the constant function?
I think the author of the problem wants us to show for any such function ##f## and not just for a constant function.
PeroK said:
How does fff change from one value to another?
It wasn't specified in the book. Although, it was also hinted that we should avoid assuming additional properties like differentiability and continuity or anything like that.

He(Steven Krantz) also hinted that he had a 10 page solution when was a student. While a one line solution was provided by Michael Spivak.

Terrell said:
assign either one of the rational endpoints to x
I meant, assigned to ##f(x)## in particular.

Terrell said:
I think the author of the problem wants us to show for any such function ##f## and not just for a constant function.

It wasn't specified in the book. Although, it was also hinted that we should avoid assuming additional properties like differentiability and continuity or anything like that.

He(Steven Krantz) also hinted that he had a 10 page solution when was a student. While a one line solution was provided by Michael Spivak.

I didn't expect to be so comprehensively misunderstood.

Well, what sort of function do you think that ##f## could be? What would an ##f## with those properties look like?

PeroK said:
I didn't expect to be so comprehensively misunderstood.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
PeroK said:
Well, what sort of function do you think that fff could be? What would an fff with those properties look like?
The way I see it, graphically, ##f## would be an infinite number of dots in ##\Bbb{R}^2##; I think it's called a piece-wise function. I think that ##f## cannot be continuous. Is this a correct interpretation to begin with? Thanks!

Terrell said:
graphically, fff would be an infinite number of dots in R2
Moreover, the dots must move upward of ##\Bbb{R}^2## to infinity. I think, this must be the case because for every interval ##(r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)##, ##f(r) \leq f(x')## such that ##x' \in (r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)##.

Terrell said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The way I see it, graphically, ##f## would be an infinite number of dots in ##\Bbb{R}^2##; I think it's called a piece-wise function. I think that ##f## cannot be continuous. Is this a correct interpretation to begin with? Thanks!

No, it could be constant. It could be a step function (although there is a constraint on the steps - can you see what that is?). It could have isolated points.

Must ##f## be increasing?

Another idea: if the image is uncountable, then it must be uncountable in at least one of the intervals ##[n, n+1]##. That might help.

Or, perhaps your original idea to use the density of ##\mathbb{Q}## might help.

Likes Terrell
Terrell said:
Moreover, the dots must move upward of ##\Bbb{R}^2## to infinity. I think, this must be the case because for every interval ##(r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)##, ##f(r) \leq f(x')## such that ##x' \in (r-\epsilon, r+\epsilon)##.

This is not true. ##f## could be bounded.

PeroK said:
(although there is a constraint on the steps - can you see what that is?). It could have isolated points.
I don't see this, yet. Don't know if I will, I'll try.
PeroK said:
Must fff be increasing?
Nope.

PeroK said:
This is not true. fff could be bounded.
Only when ##f## is a constant?

Terrell said:
Only when ##f## is a constant?

You could have a step function with a finite number of steps. Or, an infinite number of steps, as long as the sequence of step values is bounded.

Likes Terrell
PeroK said:
You could have a step function with a finite number of steps. Or, an infinite number of steps, as long as the sequence of step values is bounded.
Got it. Although, bounded-ness does not affect this problem. Correct?

PeroK said:
Another idea: if the image is uncountable, then it must be uncountable in at least one of the intervals [n,n+1][n,n+1][n, n+1]. That might help.
I haven't thought of this equivalent statement. This is nice.

Terrell said:
I haven't thought of this equivalent statement. This is nice.

Okay. I might have time to look for a solution myself today. But, if I don't, at least you have some more ideas.

1. What is a local minima in an image?

A local minima in an image is a point where the value of the function is the lowest within a specific neighborhood. In other words, it is the lowest point in a small area of the image.

2. How is the countability of local minima determined?

The countability of local minima is determined by the number of points where the function reaches its minimum within the image. If there are a finite number of points, it is countable. If there are an infinite number of points, it is uncountable.

3. Why is it important for a local minima to be countable?

Countability of local minima is important because it allows for the possibility of finding and analyzing all the minima within an image. This is crucial for various applications in image processing and analysis, such as feature extraction and pattern recognition.

4. Can an image have both countable and uncountable local minima?

Yes, it is possible for an image to have both countable and uncountable local minima. This can occur when there are both discrete and continuous functions present in the image, leading to a combination of finite and infinite minima.

5. How can the countability of local minima impact image analysis?

The countability of local minima can impact image analysis in several ways. It can affect the accuracy and efficiency of feature extraction algorithms, as well as the ability to accurately classify and identify patterns in the image. Additionally, it can also affect the performance of optimization techniques used to analyze and modify the image.