1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis: Product of sequences diverges

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a_n diverges to +inf, b_n converge to 0; prove a_n*b_n diverges to +inf

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt follows: I seem to have trouble getting things in the right order, so I am trying to work on my technique, with your help. Also, I am afraid I may have omitted reference to some theorem that I am taking for granted, which is another of my bad habits. Please review for me and advise as appropriate. I am determined to conquer this subject! Thanks.

Let M, e > 0, M, e \in R. By definition of a limit of a sequence, we can choose N_b such that |b_n - M|< e, n >= N. Then -e < b_n - M < e, so M - e < b_n < M + e. So b_n > M - e. We can then choose N_a such that a_n >= M/(M-e), n >= N. Let N = max (N_b, N_a). Then a_n*b_n >= M/(M-e), n >= N. Thus, {a_n*b_n} diverges to + infinity.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Counter example: [tex] a_n = n \left , \left b_n = \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex]

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Sorry... b_n converges to M > 0.

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

so you need to show that for any P > 0 you can find N such that anbn > P forall n > N

bn converges to M, so for any e > 0, there exists N1 such that |bn-M|< e for all n>N1

an diverges to infinity, so for any P1 > 0, there exists N2 such that an > P1 for all n > N2

so think about how to pick N based on the behaviour of bn & an

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    Actually, I did get this solved. Thank you so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook