1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis: Proving an*bn converges to ab

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the fact that an= a + (an - a) and bn= b + (bn - b) to establish the equality an*bn - ab = (an-a)(bn-b)+b(an-a)+a(bn-b).

Then, use this equality to prove that the sequence {an*bn} converges to ab.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of convergence: |an*bn - ab| < ε

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part was easy; just basic algebra. I'm stuck on the last part. I'm not sure where to begin. I tried expanding out the right side, hoping to find something I could use the triangle inequality on. I ended up with

an*bn - ab= an*bn -b*an -a*bn +ab+b*an-ab+a*bn-ab

= an*bn+a*bn-ab

= bn(an+a)-ab

I don't think I can do anything with that. Any suggestions where I can go from here? Am I even starting in the right place?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2
    Is the problem statement: if [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} a_n = a[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} b_n = b[/itex] proove that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} a_nb_n = ab[/itex]??

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    Yes, sorry. Assume that an and bn converge to a and b, respectively.

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All you need to do is show that (an-a)(bn-b)+b(an-a)+a(bn-b) goes to zero as n goes to infinity. If n is really big, what can you say about an-a? What about bn-b? What does that say about the size of the entire expression?

The triangle inequality you might want to use is
    [tex] |(a_n-a)(b_n-b)+b(a_n-a)+a(b_n-b)| \leq |(a_n-a)(b_n-b)|+|b(a_n-a)|+|a(b_n-b)|[/tex]

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5
    Ya I agree with the above posters. This type of question is a triangle inequality question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook