Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis Riemann Integration

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    Suppose we have: f(x)= 1 if 0[itex]\leq[/itex] x [itex]\leq[/itex] 1 AND 2 if 1[itex]\leq[/itex] x [itex]\leq[/itex] 2
    Using the definition, show that f is Riemann integrable on [0, 2] and find its value?

I have a general idea of how to complete this question using partitions and the L(f,P) U(f,P) definition, but am not quite receiving the answer I would like...

My workings, Fix [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\succ[/itex] 0 with partitions Pe = {0, 1-([itex]\epsilon[/itex] / 2), 1 + ([itex]\epsilon[/itex] / 2), 2}. Then, if U(f,P)=2, we can define: L(f,P)=1(1-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]/2)+1(1-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]/2) = 2-[itex]\epsilon[/itex] Then computing, U(f,P)-L(f,P)= 2-(2-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]) =ε[itex]\prec[/itex]ε

This doesn't seem right to me, and I am not quite sure what else to do? Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted