Real Analysis: Stolz–Cesàro Proof

In summary: I think I finally got it, I'll post my full proof for completeness. I didn't think to use the triangle inequality and infima, thanks for the hints boboYO and the help with my own solution. I guess the expression I suspected wasn't quite correct led me in the right direction.In summary, we are given that yn→∞ and yn+1 > yn > 0 for all natural numbers n. We are asked to show that for n > m,\frac{x_n}{y_n} = \frac{x_m}{y_n} + \frac{1}{y_n} \sum_{k=m+1}^{n} (x_k - x_{k-1})We are then
Gib Z
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1. Let xn and yn be sequences in R with yn+1 > yn > 0 for all natural numbers n and that yn→∞.
(a) Let m be a natural number. Show that for n > m
[tex]\frac{x_n}{y_n} = \frac{x_m}{y_n} + \frac{1}{y_n} \sum_{k=m+1}^{n} (x_k - x_{k-1})[/tex]

(b) Deduce from (a) or otherwise that

[tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| + \sup_{k>m} | \frac{ x_k - x_{k-1} }{ y_k - y_{k-1} } |[/tex]

(c) Assuming [tex]\frac{x_n-x_{n-1}}{y_n-y_{n-1}} \to 0[/tex], show [itex]x_n/y_n \to 0[/itex].

(d) Assuming [tex]\frac{x_n-x_{n-1}}{y_n-y_{n-1}} \to L[/tex], show [itex]x_n/y_n \to L[/itex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) was fine.

(b) Would the question be more correct to use sup k>m+1 instead, since a k-1 index is in the inside expression?

I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do as the question probably intended the sum to remain unsimplified, but I replaced it with xn-xm.

Using the triangle inequality and that y is strictly increasing so that yn-ym < yn, we get

[tex] | \frac{x_n}{y_n} | \leq | \frac{x_m}{y_n} | + | \frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m} | [/tex]

Then I'm not really sure what I can validly do after that.

(c) If (b) is assumed, then if we take the limit of both sides, it reduces to the statement that [tex] | \frac{x_n}{y_n} | - | \frac{x_m}{y_n} | \leq 0 [/tex] holds true for large n.

I don't think that's the right direction to go, certainly since it seems to imply x is decreasing when that was never given. Don't know what to do.

(d) No idea, but if I had (c) this one would probably be similar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone got any hints? I'm still stuck.

Gib Z said:

(b) Deduce from (a) or otherwise that

[tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| + \sup_{k>m} | \frac{ x_k - x_{k-1} }{ y_k - y_{k-1} } |[/tex]

[tex] \left| \frac{x_n}{y_n} \right| \leq | \frac{x_m}{y_n} | + | \frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m} | [/tex]

Then I'm not really sure what I can validly do after that.

you probably already know this, but the 2nd equation doesn't imply the first because sup(all that stuff) could be smaller than [tex] \left| \frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m} \right|[/tex]

The most obvious path is to prove that
[tex]\sup_{k>m}\left|y_n\frac{\Delta x_k}{\Delta y_k} \right| \geq \left| \sum_{k=m+1}^{n} \Delta x_k\right|[/tex]

and then apply triangle inequality.

First, restate it as an existence question, remove the sup and ask: does there exist a [tex]k[/tex] that makes the inequality true?

[STRIKE]An idea:

It reduces to finding [tex]m+1\leq k \leq n[/tex] such that

[tex]\frac{y_n}{\Delta y_k}\geq n-m[/tex] (1)

and

[tex] \Delta x_k \geq \frac{|x_n-x_m|}{n-m} [/tex] (2)

It is easy to to find a [tex]k[/tex] that satisfies each condition individually, but I can't see how to find one that satisfies both simultaneously =(
[/STRIKE]
edit: the above approach won't work, I found a counterexample to it.
For c),

to find N such that [tex]\frac{x_n}{y_n}<\varepsilon[/tex] for n>N,

first find an m such that [tex]\frac{ \Delta x_k }{\Delta y_k } < \frac \varepsilon 2 [/tex] for k>m, then use part b) and finish it off.

Last edited:
My mind started thinking clearly and I figured these out finally. If anyone's interested in the solutions send me a PM and I'll post them here.

boboYO, I didn't see the edit until just now, my final solution for (c) didn't make any use of (b) and was quite long =[ Could you tell me how we could have used (b) to finish it off. When I see it I bet I'll kick myself.

Last edited:
see what you think of this
let [itex] \Delta x_j = x_j-x_{j-1} [/itex]

then, let k>m be the the supremum index, then
[tex]| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \geq | \frac{\Delta x_j }{ \Delta y_j }|, \forall j>m [/tex]

rearranging, knowing that [itex] \Delta y_j > 0 [/itex], then summing from m+1 upto n:
[tex]| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \sum \Delta y_j \geq \sum |\Delta x_j |\geq |\sum \Delta x_j| [/tex]
so
[tex]\sup_{k>m}| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \geq |\frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m}|\geq |\frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n}| \geq |\frac{x_n}{y_n}| - |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| [/tex]

then for c) choose M such that
[tex]\frac{x_m-x_{m-1}}{y_m-y_{m-1}} < \epsilon, \forall m>M [/tex]

then for n,m>M
[tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq |\frac{x_m}{y_n}| + \epsilon[/tex]

[itex] x_m [/itex] is just a number, and as [itex] y_n [/itex] is unbounded as n increases, we should be able to choose N>M so that for all n>N
[tex] |\frac{x_m}{y_n}|\leq \epsilon[/tex]

then for n>N>M
[tex]|\frac{x_n}{y_n}| \leq 2\epsilon[/tex]

which should be pretty close...

this part threw me for a bit above
[tex]\sup_{k>m}| \frac{\Delta x_k }{ \Delta y_k }| \geq |\frac{x_n-x_m}{y_n-y_m}| [/tex]
but I'm thinking maybe the continuous analogue is something like the mean value theorem, except that the maximum gradient must be >= the average

not 100% there is no holes...

Last edited:

What is the Stolz-Cesàro theorem?

The Stolz-Cesàro theorem is a mathematical theorem in real analysis that provides a criterion for the convergence or divergence of a sequence. It is named after mathematicians Otto Stolz and Ernesto Cesàro, who independently developed the proof in the late 19th century.

What does the Stolz-Cesàro theorem state?

The Stolz-Cesàro theorem states that if a sequence of real numbers is bounded and its limit exists, then the limit of the sequence of the ratios of consecutive terms is equal to the limit of the original sequence. In other words, the limit of the sequence is equal to the limit of the average of the terms.

How is the Stolz-Cesàro theorem used in real analysis?

The Stolz-Cesàro theorem is used to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence in real analysis. It is particularly useful for proving the convergence of infinite series, as it allows for the comparison of the series to the sequence of its partial sums.

What is the difference between the Stolz-Cesàro theorem and the Cauchy criterion?

The Stolz-Cesàro theorem and the Cauchy criterion are both used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence. However, the Stolz-Cesàro theorem only requires the existence of the limit of the sequence, while the Cauchy criterion requires the sequence to be Cauchy, meaning that the distance between consecutive terms approaches zero as the index of the term approaches infinity.

What are some applications of the Stolz-Cesàro theorem?

The Stolz-Cesàro theorem has various applications in real analysis, including proving the convergence or divergence of infinite series, evaluating limits of sequences that involve indeterminate forms, and proving the convergence of sequences of real numbers. It is also used in other branches of mathematics, such as complex analysis and functional analysis.