Real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy

In summary: If the spherical objects do not overlap, this formula is true independent of the sizes and distances of the objects. However, if they overlap, the force will be different depending on how close they are to each other.The force is changing throughout the 'free fall' and makes things more complicated.The solution that I find is Fg=GmM1M2s/(r2+rs)Where do I need the help?I don't know if this is the right solution and I also don't know how to interprete the limiting cases, like limr→0 and lims→0 at the same time(in the center).What are all the 3 different equations that describe the variance
omiros
This isn't a homework problem, but something that has being buzzing in my head.

I've been thinking about it cause at huge distances from Earth g changes and also in what happens for really dense objected and small things could change too.

The real equation for gravity no matter which body we are talking about with a spherical symmetry, is Fg=GmM1M2/(r+s)2,
with r = the radius of the main body and s = the distance of the body from the surface of the other one.

Let's consider M1the main one and M2the one that can be viewed as a particle. We know that ΔK = -∫s0Fds , however the force is chaning all through the 'free fall' and makes things more complicated.

The solution that I find is Fg=GmM1M2s/(r2+rs)

Where do I need the help?
I don't know if this is the right solution and I also don't know how to interprete the limiting cases, like limr→0 and lims→0 at the same time(in the center).
What are all the 3 different equations that describe the variance of the force?
Also could someone transform the energy equations if both bodies are 'big' but with different radius(not same r or mass)?
What energy do they have before they collide?
What would happen if they were like earth? (not spherical, with equations)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral is incorrect. The integral of -1/(r+s)^2 is 1/(r+s)

I am sorry. That is my mistake. I meant ΔK not Fgwith limits s and 0

Last edited:
This does not change the fact that your integral is wrong.

with r = the radius of the main body and s = the distance of the body from the surface of the other one.
That does not work if both objects have a finite size. The denominator has to be the distance between the central points of the objects. It is convenient to use r for this distance, if you use other definitions you have to adjust the denominator to get the same result.
As long as the spherical objects do not overlap, this formula is true independent of the sizes and distances of the objects.

What would happen if they were like earth? (not spherical, with equations)
You need a multipole expansion or numerical simulations.

mfb said:
This does not change the fact that your integral is wrong.

Did you try to solve it before you say it was wrong? If you simplify the two fractions that you get, this is the result.

Oh sorry, I was confused as you used s for integration limits and as variable at the same time.
Okay, the result looks good.
Where is the point in taking the limit s->0 (i.e. not lifting the body at all) then? The limit for r,s->0 will depend on the way they go to zero.

1. What is real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy?

Real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy refers to the conversion of potential energy, which is stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field, into kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. This conversion occurs when an object falls from a higher position to a lower position, gaining kinetic energy as it accelerates due to the force of gravity.

2. How is real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy calculated?

The calculation for real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy involves the use of the following equation: KE = mgh, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. This equation assumes that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the object.

3. What is the relationship between real gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

The relationship between real gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy is that they are two different forms of energy that are interrelated. As an object falls, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This means that as potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, the object's speed and motion increases.

4. Can real gravitational potential energy be converted into kinetic energy in other situations besides falling objects?

Yes, real gravitational potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy in other situations besides falling objects. For example, when a roller coaster car reaches the top of a hill, it has a high potential energy due to its position in the gravitational field. As it travels down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the car to gain speed.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This principle applies to the conversion of real gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy, as the total amount of energy in the system (the falling object and Earth's gravitational field) remains constant. This means that the decrease in potential energy is equal to the increase in kinetic energy, and the total energy of the system remains the same.