Real Part of Gain of LRC Circuit

In summary, the voltage divider approach can be used to solve the homework equation, but it looks like you're taking the output as being across the resistor rather than the LC section.
PatsyTy

Homework Statement

Given the circuit below (image uploaded) driven at a frequency ##ω=2πƒ## show that

$$|\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{1}{ωτ_{l}}-ωτ_{c})^2}}$$

where ##τ_{c}=RC## and ##τ_{l}+L/R##

Homework Equations

##Z_R=R##, ##Z_L=jωL## and ##Z_C=-j/ωC## where ##j=\sqrt-1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I start with

$$\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}=\frac{Z_R}{Z_C Z_L / (Z_C+Z_L)+Z_R}=\frac{Z_R(Z_C+Z_L)}{Z_C Z_L+Z_R(Z_C+Z_L)}$$

where the impedance of the resistor, inductor and capacitor are ##Z_R##, ##Z_L## and ##Z_C## respectively. I sub in values for the impedances seeing as I don't think there is any more simplification I can do here

$$\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}=\frac{R(-j/ωC+jωL)}{-j/ωC jωL+R(-j/ωC+jωL)}$$

I know I have to get this into a form where I can take the real part of $$\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}$$, in other words I want this in the form

$$\frac{v_{in}}{v_{out}}=\frac{A+jB}{C+jD}$$

however I have no idea how to do this, I'm not sure if I have set up the problem wrong. I've tried multiplying through by ##\frac{j}{j}## and ##\frac{-j}{-j}## but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I feel I know how to solve most of this problem, I am just unsure how to rearrange this expression to get a usable result.

Attachments

• IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
You've used a voltage divider approach, which is fine, but it looks like you're taking the output as being across the resistor rather than the LC section. Note that the reference node is at the bottom.

What you're looking for is the magnitude of the transfer function, ##|\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}|##. That's not the same thing as the real part of the transfer function.

I thought that ##\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}} was a complex value function, do I not need to take the real part to get the magnitude? Also we were told we are looking for the gain of the function, is that different?

The transfer function is complex. The magnitude of a complex value is determined by both of the components: ##|a + jb| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}## .

The ratio of the output to the input is the gain function, also known as the transfer function. It's magnitude at a given frequency is called the gain at that frequency.

Ok, so I still need the function to be of the form ##a+jb## to be able to evaluate the magnitude? For the ##\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}## I should start by working with

$$\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}}=\frac{\frac{Z_C Z_L}{Z_C+Z_L}}{\frac{Z_C Z_L}{Z_C+Z_L}+R}$$

I believe?

Sure. You may find it expedient to divide the through the top and bottom by ##\frac{Z_C Z_L}{Z_C+Z_L}## to begin with in order to concentrate all the required simplification in one place :wink:

Also, note that ##\left| \frac{a + jb}{c + jd} \right| = \frac{|a + jb|}{|c + jd|}## That may help.

Likes PatsyTy
Thanks, I'll do so!

Just one quick question, your last line I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it looks like you repeated the same thing on both sides of your equation.

Not quite. Note the extent of the "|" operators in each case. For the magnitude of a fraction you can take the magnitudes of the numerator and denominator separately.

Likes PatsyTy
Ah now I see, I need that eye for detail! Thanks again!

What is the "Real Part of Gain" in an LRC circuit?

The "Real Part of Gain" in an LRC circuit refers to the measure of the circuit's efficiency in converting electrical energy from the input source into usable output energy.

How is the real part of gain calculated in an LRC circuit?

The real part of gain in an LRC circuit can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This gives a ratio known as the voltage gain.

What factors affect the real part of gain in an LRC circuit?

The real part of gain in an LRC circuit is affected by the quality of the components used, the frequency of the input signal, and the impedance of the circuit. It is also influenced by external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference.

Why is the real part of gain important in an LRC circuit?

The real part of gain is important in an LRC circuit because it determines the amount of energy that is lost or gained in the circuit. A higher real part of gain indicates a more efficient circuit, while a lower real part of gain indicates a less efficient circuit.

How can the real part of gain be improved in an LRC circuit?

The real part of gain can be improved in an LRC circuit by using high-quality components, choosing appropriate component values for the frequency of the input signal, and minimizing external factors that can affect the circuit's efficiency.