1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real world applications of Parametric Differentiation.

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hi, for a presentation I am requested to give some examples of the Real world applications of Parametric Differentiation.

Now i know its to do with a differentiation of 3 variables that are connected, but for the love of god i cannot think of any examples of its practical uses.

any help would be great, if someone could give a very non detailed example of its usage, that'll be terrific.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    Well ordinarily you have a function y(x), where x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable.

With parametric derivatives (of x(t) and y(t) lets say, which depend on t) you have x'(t) and y'(t) . Here x and y are dependent and a function of independent variable t.

So I think some applications of your parametric differentiation would be simple harmonic motion. Have you ever seen those diagrams where the pendulum is going around a circle and this is representing the period of oscillation? That can be described in terms of x'(t) and y'(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook