1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Applications of coupled pendulums

1. Nov 24, 2016 #1
    I have done an experiment changing the mass ratio of coupled pendulums. To conclude I need real world applications for the coupled pendulums. But, i cannot find it online. So, it would be really helpful is someone could give examples of this. THANKS!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Google "coupled pendulums applications" and (besides your own posts :smile: ) you see a few useful links.

4. Nov 24, 2016 #3

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For example, if a physicist or physical chemist wants to calculate the wavelengths of infrared (thermal) radiation that a gaseous substance is able to absorb and emit, they will use the exact same mathematics that are used when calculating the normal modes of a coupled pendulum system. This is because molecular thermal vibrations can be seen as a type of coupled oscillator system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted