1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Realism, or reaching for the stars

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    The Goldwater scholarship application is approaching, and I think it's an excellent opportunity. However, I have a GPA less than the average of 3.95 (but above 3.8), have published no papers (but have been researching since late July), and all around am not a highly motivated individual. I'm also a sophomore.

Is the application process worth it? It seems very intense, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it if I don't have at least a 50% chance. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you like certainty, the only sure thing to say is this: if you do not apply you have a 100% chance of not getting it.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Great post.

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4
    What's the worst that happens? They don't pick you.
    I say go for it, because if the application process is intensive then maybe it'll help you for the future when applying to other selective programs.

Good luck.

6. Oct 31, 2011 #5
    Agreed.

3.95gpa is less than average? We aren't talking of a 4.0 grading system are we?

7. Nov 1, 2011 #6
    I don't know what a GPA is, but Null_ said that 3.95 is the average (not below it), presumably taken over the people being granted a Goldwater scholarship (whatever that is).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook