Realism, or reaching for the stars

• Thread starter Null_
  • Start date
The Goldwater scholarship application is approaching, and I think it's an excellent opportunity. However, I have a GPA less than the average of 3.95 (but above 3.8), have published no papers (but have been researching since late July), and all around am not a highly motivated individual. I'm also a sophomore.

Is the application process worth it? It seems very intense, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it if I don't have at least a 50% chance. Thoughts?

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
If you like certainty, the only sure thing to say is this: if you do not apply you have a 100% chance of not getting it.

If you like certainty, the only sure thing to say is this: if you do not apply you have a 100% chance of not getting it.
Great post.

What's the worst that happens? They don't pick you.
I say go for it, because if the application process is intensive then maybe it'll help you for the future when applying to other selective programs.

Good luck.

Great post.
Agreed.

The Goldwater scholarship application is approaching, and I think it's an excellent opportunity. However, I have a GPA less than the average of 3.95 (but above 3.8), have published no papers (but have been researching since late July), and all around am not a highly motivated individual. I'm also a sophomore.

Is the application process worth it? It seems very intense, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it if I don't have at least a 50% chance. Thoughts?
3.95gpa is less than average? We aren't talking of a 4.0 grading system are we?

I don't know what a GPA is, but Null_ said that 3.95 is the average (not below it), presumably taken over the people being granted a Goldwater scholarship (whatever that is).