Realism, or reaching for the stars

In summary, the Goldwater scholarship application is approaching and while the applicant has a slightly lower GPA and no published papers, they are still interested in applying. They are concerned about the intensity of the application process and their chances of success, but others suggest going for it as it may benefit them in the long run.
Null_
The Goldwater scholarship application is approaching, and I think it's an excellent opportunity. However, I have a GPA less than the average of 3.95 (but above 3.8), have published no papers (but have been researching since late July), and all around am not a highly motivated individual. I'm also a sophomore.

Is the application process worth it? It seems very intense, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it if I don't have at least a 50% chance. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like certainty, the only sure thing to say is this: if you do not apply you have a 100% chance of not getting it.

mathwonk said:
If you like certainty, the only sure thing to say is this: if you do not apply you have a 100% chance of not getting it.

Great post.

What's the worst that happens? They don't pick you.
I say go for it, because if the application process is intensive then maybe it'll help you for the future when applying to other selective programs.

Good luck.

Rockoz said:
Great post.
Agreed.

Null_ said:
The Goldwater scholarship application is approaching, and I think it's an excellent opportunity. However, I have a GPA less than the average of 3.95 (but above 3.8), have published no papers (but have been researching since late July), and all around am not a highly motivated individual. I'm also a sophomore.

Is the application process worth it? It seems very intense, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it if I don't have at least a 50% chance. Thoughts?

3.95gpa is less than average? We aren't talking of a 4.0 grading system are we?

I don't know what a GPA is, but Null_ said that 3.95 is the average (not below it), presumably taken over the people being granted a Goldwater scholarship (whatever that is).

1. What is realism in science?

Realism in science refers to the belief that scientific theories and concepts accurately represent the objective reality of the natural world. It holds that the laws and principles of science are independent of human perception and are discovered through empirical evidence and experimentation.

2. What is the role of realism in scientific progress?

Realism plays a crucial role in scientific progress by providing a foundation for the development and testing of theories and hypotheses. It allows scientists to make reliable predictions and advancements in their field based on the assumption that the natural world operates according to certain laws and principles.

3. How does realism differ from other philosophical perspectives in science?

Realism differs from other philosophical perspectives, such as positivism and instrumentalism, in that it emphasizes the objective truth of scientific theories and concepts. While positivism focuses on observable and measurable phenomena, and instrumentalism views scientific theories as tools for prediction and control, realism posits that scientific theories accurately describe the underlying reality of the natural world.

4. Can realism and scientific skepticism coexist?

Yes, realism and scientific skepticism can coexist. While realism holds that scientific theories accurately represent the natural world, scientific skepticism encourages critical thinking and questioning of these theories. This skepticism can lead to further experimentation and refinement of theories, ultimately enhancing our understanding of reality.

5. How does realism relate to the concept of reaching for the stars?

Realism and reaching for the stars are connected in the sense that both involve a pursuit of knowledge and understanding of the world around us. Realism provides a foundation for scientific progress and advancements, while reaching for the stars represents the human desire to push the boundaries of what is known and achieve great feats through scientific discovery and exploration.