Really Challenging Area Between Curves Problem

In summary, the area of the plane region bounded by the y-axis, the vertical line K: x=a, the curve C, and the tangent line T is A=f(x)-e^x.
TheIdealist

Homework Statement

Suppose C:y=f(x) with f a twice-differentiable function such that f''(x)> 0 for each x on the closed interval [0,a] where a is a positive constant. Suppose T is the tangent line to C at a point P= (r,f(r)) on C where r is in the open interval (0,a). Let A be the area of the plane region bounded by the y-axis, the vertical line K: x=a, the curve C, and the tangent line T.

Express A as a function of r.

The Attempt at a Solution

The curve is concave up on the closed interval [0,a]. After sketching the curve, drawing a tangent line at a point P on the interval between 0 and a that lies below the curve, I realized that the area A lies between the curve C, and the tangent line T. The area A could be the integral of C:y=f(x) subtracting the area under the tangent line. A friend and I then thought of interpreting the area below the tangent line T to be a trapezoid (f(0)+f(a))/2. Although the area of the trapezoid doesn't use x as a variable and seems to work, I can't seem to find an expression to substitute r for x in the integral for the area of the curve C. This problem has been bugging me for the past few days, I would sleep a lot better if I can solve it! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheIdealist said:

Homework Statement

Suppose C:y=f(x) with f a twice-differentiable function such that f''(x)> 0 for each x on the closed interval [0,a] where a is a positive constant. Suppose T is the tangent line to C at a point P= (r,f(r)) on C where r is in the open interval (0,a). Let A be the area of the plane region bounded by the y-axis, the vertical line K: x=a, the curve C, and the tangent line T.

Express A as a function of r.

The Attempt at a Solution

The curve is concave up on the closed interval [0,a]. After sketching the curve, drawing a tangent line at a point P on the interval between 0 and a that lies below the curve, I realized that the area A lies between the curve C, and the tangent line T. The area A could be the integral of C:y=f(x) subtracting the area under the tangent line. A friend and I then thought of interpreting the area below the tangent line T to be a trapezoid (f(0)+f(a))/2. Although the area of the trapezoid doesn't use x as a variable and seems to work, I can't seem to find an expression to substitute r for x in the integral for the area of the curve C. This problem has been bugging me for the past few days, I would sleep a lot better if I can solve it! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

How about ##e^x##? Won't that work for starters? Worry about the others later if we can just do that one. Then from what you said, I constructed an example for r=1 in the plot below and looks like we need the area of the blue right? If that's so, then it's not hard to find an equation of that tangent line as a function of r right? Once we get that line and we know the function, then we can compose the integral for the two shaded regions as a function of r.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64717&stc=1&d=1386844112.jpg

Attachments

• myfilling integral.jpg
    myfilling integral.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Thanks for replying! I think I was able to solve for the area for e^x. I integrated f(x)= e^x from 0 to a and got F(x)= e^a-1. I then solved for the tangent line. I think it is f(x)- e^r=(e^r)(x-r). I then have to integrate the difference right? After integrating the difference from 0 to a, I got Area= (e^a) - [(e^r)(a^2)]/[2] - re^r(a) + ae^r - 1. Does this look right?

I also have to prove why the area is minimized when r=a/2.

Last edited:
I don't think working with ##e^x## is very instructive. You need to start by writing the integral for the area in the general case. You can write the equation of the tangent line at ##(r,f(r))## since you also have the slope ##f'(r)## there. Do that and show us the integral you set up for the area.

Likes 1 person
Ok, after integrating the function f(x) and the tangent line y= f'(r)(x-r)+f(r) on [0,a], I got F(a)-F(0)-[f'(r)a^2]/2 - f'(r)ra + f(r)a. I got this from integrating both the function and the tangent line and setting up a difference between them. Is this correct? If it is, how would I minimize this. The r in my Area function is not a variable, how can I differentiate and use the Extreme Value Theorem on it? Thanks! Please reply ASAP. My test is tomorrow and this is the last thing I need to study.

LCKurtz said:
I don't think working with ##e^x## is very instructive. You need to start by writing the integral for the area in the general case. You can write the equation of the tangent line at ##(r,f(r))## since you also have the slope ##f'(r)## there. Do that and show us the integral you set up for the area.

TheIdealist said:
Ok, after integrating the function f(x) and the tangent line y= f'(r)(x-r)+f(r) on [0,a], I got F(a)-F(0)-[f'(r)a^2]/2 - f'(r)ra + f(r)a.

Please show your work.

I got this from integrating both the function and the tangent line and setting up a difference between them. Is this correct? If it is, how would I minimize this. The r in my Area function is not a variable, how can I differentiate and use the Extreme Value Theorem on it? Thanks! Please reply ASAP. My test is tomorrow and this is the last thing I need to study.

You can't integrate the area because you don't have a formula for ##f(x)##. You need to do what I suggested. Set up the integral and show us.

Is this correct?

[itex]\int[/itex]f(x) - f'(r)(x-r)+f(r).

I solved for the tangent line by solving for y-f(r)=f'(r)(x-r). This is just the generic point slope formula.

I can't find a way to rewrite x in terms of a and r in the integral.

TheIdealist said:
Is this correct?

[itex]\int[/itex]f(x) - f'(r)(x-r)+f(r).

I solved for the tangent line by solving for y-f(r)=f'(r)(x-r). This is just the generic point slope formula.

I can't find a way to rewrite x in terms of a and r in the integral.

You have a sign wrong. The integral should be$$
A=\int_0^a f(x)-f'(r)(x-r) - f(r)~dx$$which is a function of ##r##. Now calculate ##A'(r)## assuming you can differentiate under the integral sign, and remembering you are differentiating with respect to ##r##, not ##x##, and set it equal to ##0## looking for a critical point. So you will have integral(something)dx = 0. Now work out that integral remembering the variable is dx and see if you can solve the problem.

It was very late last night when I returned home and after looking at your first method, I think it would work if you do the algebra correctly.

Last edited:

1. What is a "Really Challenging Area Between Curves Problem"?

A "Really Challenging Area Between Curves Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area between two curves on a graph. This can be a challenging problem because it requires an understanding of calculus and the ability to manipulate equations to find the area.

2. Why are these types of problems considered challenging?

These problems are considered challenging because they require a deep understanding of calculus concepts such as integration, as well as the ability to visualize and manipulate equations in order to find the area between the curves. Additionally, these problems often involve complex functions and multiple steps, making them more difficult to solve.

3. What are some common strategies for solving "Really Challenging Area Between Curves Problems"?

Some common strategies for solving these types of problems include graphing the two curves and visualizing the area between them, using the fundamental theorem of calculus, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and using algebraic manipulation to find the area.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving "Really Challenging Area Between Curves Problems"?

To improve your skills in solving these problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and practice regularly. You can also try working through similar problems and seeking guidance from a math tutor or instructor if needed.

5. Can "Really Challenging Area Between Curves Problems" have real-world applications?

Yes, these types of problems can have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, calculating the area between two curves can be used to determine the volume of a three-dimensional object or the total profit of a business over a certain period of time.