Really difficult calculus problem

• Thread starter christos.miko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of finding a function f that is differentiable for all real x, satisfies the inequality |f(x)|<2 and f(x)f'(x)≥sin(x). The individuals in the conversation try various methods such as multiplying the inequality by 2 and integrating both sides, but are unsure if such a function exists. They also discuss the idea of integrating from 0 to pi and obtaining the inequality [f(pi)]^2-[f(0)]^2≥4. However, they are unsure of what this tells them and if they need to find a function with this property. One individual also suggests being more precise in their integration by using a definite integral from 0 to pi
christos.miko
Is there a function f , differentiable for all real x, such that | f (x) |< 2 and f (x)f ′ (x) ≥ sin(x)?I noticed that [f(x)*f(x)]' = 2f(x)*f'(x) = [f(x)]^2

So I tried multiplying that inequality by 2.
2f (x)f ′ (x) ≥ 2sin(x)

Then I tried integrating both sides.

[f(x)]^2 ≥ -2cos(x). This gives us [f(pi)]^2-[f(0)]^2 ≥ 4. I am not sure what this tells me. Do I need to find a function with this property? I also need

I honestly have no idea if such a function even exists. Does anyone know what to do?

f i do what Dick said, and integrate both sides from 0 to pi.

We will get [f(pi)]^2-[f(0)]^2 ≥ -2[cos(pi) - cos(0)]

This gives us [f(pi)]^2-[f(0)]^2 ≥ 4. I am not sure what this tells me. Do I need to find a function with this property? I also need | f (x) |< 2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are being a little sloppy. Do a definite integral from 0 to a on both sides of 2*f(x)*f'(x)>=2*sin(x). Put a=pi. What do you conclude?

What is the purpose of studying really difficult calculus problems?

Studying really difficult calculus problems helps us develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It also prepares us for more advanced math courses and real-world applications.

How do I approach a really difficult calculus problem?

To approach a really difficult calculus problem, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what is given and what is being asked for, and then use your knowledge of calculus principles and techniques to solve each part. Don't be afraid to try different approaches and strategies, and always check your work for accuracy.

Why are some calculus problems considered "really difficult"?

Some calculus problems are considered really difficult because they require a deep understanding of multiple concepts, involve complex calculations or techniques, and may not have a straightforward solution. These problems often challenge us to think outside the box and apply our knowledge in creative ways.

What resources are available to help solve really difficult calculus problems?

There are many resources available to help solve really difficult calculus problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor who can provide guidance and explain difficult concepts. It is important to use a variety of resources and to not be afraid to ask for help when needed.

How can I improve my skills in solving really difficult calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving really difficult calculus problems, it is important to practice regularly and to challenge yourself with increasingly difficult problems. You can also review and reinforce your understanding of key concepts and techniques, and seek feedback from peers or teachers. With persistence and dedication, you can continue to improve your skills and tackle even the most difficult calculus problems.