Really quick differential question

In summary, the conversation revolves around rewriting equations in terms of x and t. The equation F=-m(v^2) is discussed, and it is determined that it can be rewritten as (\frac{dx}{dt})^2 = \frac{dx}{dt} * \frac{dx}{dt}. An example with x=t^2+t^4 is used to demonstrate this.
Lewis
If I am rewriting v in terms of x and t, I write it as dx/dt, but how about v^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
urnt? Are you talking about Reduction of order?
Like:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBrowsers/3401/ReductionofOrder_files/eq0021M.gif

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBrowsers/3401/ReductionofOrder_files/eq0022M.gif

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBrowsers/3401/ReductionofOrder_files/eq0023M.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, my prof likes to ask questions on things he doesn't teach :\

I mean, in an equation like: F=-mv, you can rewrite it like m [(d^2 x)/(dt^2)] = -m dx/dt

But how would you rewrite F=-m(v^2) ?

[tex] (v)^2 = v*v[/tex]
[tex] (\frac{dx}{dt})^2 = \frac{dx}{dt} * \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Let's say [itex] x=t^2+t^4 [/itex] then [itex] v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. So we then have [itex] F = mv^2 = m \times \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dx}{dt} = 2t+4t^3 \times 2t+4t^3[/itex]

assuming F = mv

Last edited:
Okay, thanks a lot!

What is a really quick differential question?

A really quick differential question is a type of mathematical question that deals with the rate of change of a function or variable. It typically involves finding the derivative of a function or solving a related problem.

What is the purpose of a really quick differential question?

The purpose of a really quick differential question is to understand how a function changes over time or in response to different inputs. It can be used to model real-world situations and make predictions about future behavior.

How do you solve a really quick differential question?

To solve a really quick differential question, you need to use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the given function. This can involve techniques such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. Once you have found the derivative, you can then use it to solve the problem at hand.

What are some common applications of really quick differential questions?

Really quick differential questions have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze motion, growth, decay, optimization, and many other phenomena.

What are some tips for solving really quick differential questions?

Some tips for solving really quick differential questions include understanding the rules of differentiation, practicing with different types of problems, and being familiar with common functions and their derivatives. It is also helpful to sketch graphs and make use of algebraic techniques when solving these types of questions.