Multi-variable differential question

In summary, the problem requires finding the total derivative dF/dM for the equation F = 1/2.a(T-Tc)M^2 + 1/4.bM^4, where a, Tc, and b are positive constants. To do this, the partial derivatives ∂F/∂T and ∂F/∂M are first calculated using the power rule and the chain rule, respectively. Finally, the total derivative is obtained by applying the product rule to the partial derivatives. The solution is not complete as it requires the value of the partial derivative ∂T/∂M, which is not provided in the given information.
steejk

Homework Statement

F = 1/2.a(T-Tc)M^2 + 1/4.bM^4

I need to find dF/dM

a,Tc,b are positive constants

2. The attempt at a solution

I assume this is to do with partial derivatives etc.

So I found:

∂F/∂T = 1/2.aM^2

∂F/∂M = TaM - TcaM + bM^3

And using a chain rule:

dF/dM = ∂F/∂T.dT/dM + ∂F/∂M.dM/dM

But not sure how to find dT/dM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
steejk said:

Homework Statement

I need to find dF/dM

Is that supposed to be$$
F=(\frac 1 2)a(T-T_c)M^2 +(\frac 1 4)bM^4$$

2. The attempt at a solution

I assume this is to do with partial derivatives etc.

So I found:

∂F/∂T = 1/2.aM^2

∂F/∂M = TaM - TcaM + bM^3

And using a chain rule:

dF/dM = ∂F/∂T.dT/dM + ∂F/∂M.dM/dM

But not sure how to find dT/dM

The statement of the problem says find ##\frac{dF}{dM}##. Isn't the expression just a polynomial in ##M##? Hold everything else constant and differentiate it.

LCKurtz said:
Is that supposed to be$$
F=(\frac 1 2)a(T-T_c)M^2 +(\frac 1 4)bM^4$$

Yes that's the correct equation.

Isn't T also a variable or have I just forgotten how to do basic differentiation?

steejk said:

Homework Statement

I need to find dF/dM

steejk said:
Yes that's the correct equation.

Isn't T also a variable or have I just forgotten how to do basic differentiation?

You said it was a constant above. And if it weren't, you would still calculate the partial derivative ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial M}## the same way.

LCKurtz said:
You said it was a constant above. And if it weren't, you would still calculate the partial derivative ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial M}## the same way.

Sorry, Tc is a constant but not T.

I can see the partial derivative would hold everything else constant, but I need to find the total derivative dF/dM.

I guess I misunderstood what you wanted. If T depends on M, then the chain rule in your original post would be correct. But without more information, I don't see you you could calculate ##\frac{dT}{dM}##.

1. What is a multi-variable differential equation?

A multi-variable differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between these variables and their rates of change over time or space.

2. What are some real-world applications of multi-variable differential equations?

Multi-variable differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and predict complex systems and phenomena. Examples include population dynamics, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.

3. How do you solve a multi-variable differential equation?

The solution to a multi-variable differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some equations have analytical solutions that can be found using mathematical techniques, while others require numerical methods or computer simulations.

4. What is the difference between a partial and ordinary multi-variable differential equation?

A partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives, while an ordinary differential equation only involves one independent variable and its derivatives. Partial differential equations are used to describe systems with multiple variables, while ordinary differential equations are used for single-variable systems.

5. How are multi-variable differential equations related to calculus?

Multi-variable differential equations are an extension of single-variable differential equations, which are a fundamental concept in calculus. Differential calculus is used to find the derivatives of functions, while differential equations use these derivatives to model and analyze changing systems.