Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really Simple PSPICE simulation, need somebody to double check me

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am working on a prelab for my electronics laboratory course. It's really simple (or at least should be. Basically he wants us to simulate the I-V characteristics of a D1N4002 diode. There is no resistor in the circuit we are to simulate (basically we're shorting it if you consider the resistance of the diode negligible). The circuit is below:

29uvgjo.png

My problem is that whenever I simulate it, I get something that looks rather linear rather than exponentially increasing after the turn-on voltage like it should. I am doing a DC sweep from 0 to 5V with .1 increment and linear scale. No clue what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Try sweeping from 0 to 0.8 volts and in steps of 0.01 volts.

The program will try to fit the data onto the graph and because the current gets enormous above 1 volt, the curve of the diode characteristic, as it turns on, gets lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook