1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta-Sigma ADC - Simulating and Breadboarding

1. Mar 14, 2014 #1
    Delta-Sigma ADC -- Simulating and Breadboarding

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello PF,
    For a project I am to design, simulate and demonstrate and very simple Delta-Sigma ADC converter. I need only use simple circuit elements, a comparator, op-amp(s), and a flip-flop/latch chip. The simulation will be done on multisim and the ADC will be demonstrated using a breadboard platform. An oscilloscope will be used to view the input/output and a function generator can be used as a clock. The input frequency is to be less than 100Hz

2. Relevant equations

I have attached a jpg of the simplified Delta-Sigma ADC diagram taken directly from the project outline. Basic circuit analysis includes any and all equations that would be relevant, but I do not need help with analysis right now.

3. The attempt at a solution

A simple integrator can be constructed using a resistor and a capacitor.
    I know that a low-pass filter should be included in the output.

I am having trouble designing the 1-bit ADC and the 1-bit memory element (refer to the attached jpg). For the 1-bit ADC, I believe I need to compare the analog output from the integrator to a reference voltage in order to produce a two level signal, however I do not know how to do this. Instinct tells me I should incorporate an op-amp, but I am unsure about how to do so.
    The 1-bit memory element should incorporate a clock in order to time the outputs.(?)

I am asking for some direction and some component recommendations.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not seeing any attachment...

4. Mar 17, 2014 #3
    My apologies, hopefully this picture will show now.

Attached Files:

• ADC.JPG
      ADC.JPG
      File size:
      11.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Nov 13, 2016 #4
    Multisim Simulation of the analog part of a 2nd order Delta-Sigma Modulator:) dsm2.JPG

6. Nov 13, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

We do not generally allow solutions to be posted in homework threads (except by the OP, of course), but this thread is several years old, so the OP has moved on.

Where did you get this simulation? Is it yours from your schoolwork? Or is it from some other source? Can you explain how it works?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted