Rearrange Euler's identity to isolate i

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to take the natural log of a negative number, specifically ln(-1). The equation e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0 is mentioned, and it is noted that ln(e^{i \pi})=ln(-1). It is suggested that taking the complex logarithm is necessary.
Gondur

Homework Statement

Maybe this is not possible because i does not represent anything quantile and is merely abstract? I'm not sure and maybe you guys can help!

Homework Equations

[tex] e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex] e^{i \pi} = -1[/tex]

You cannot take natural log of a negative number so where do I go from here?

[tex]ln(e^{i \pi})=ln(-1)[/tex]

[tex]i \pi=ln((-1))[/tex]

[tex]i=\frac{ln(-1)}{\pi}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to take the complex logarithm, which is a subtle little thing.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true that ln(-1) = ipi. I don't see anything wrong with what you've said.

You cannot take the ln of a negative in the reals. We are explicitly not limited to the reals.

1. How do you rearrange Euler's identity to isolate i?

Euler's identity is eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). To isolate i, we can subtract cos(x) from both sides and then divide by sin(x). This gives us the rearranged form: i = (eix - cos(x)) / sin(x).

2. Why is it important to isolate i in Euler's identity?

Isolating i in Euler's identity allows us to see the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions. It also helps us understand the concept of imaginary numbers and their role in mathematics.

3. What is the significance of Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is significant because it connects five fundamental mathematical constants: e, i, π, 1, and 0. It is also often referred to as the "most beautiful equation" in mathematics due to its simplicity and elegance.

4. Can Euler's identity be used to solve mathematical problems?

Yes, Euler's identity can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems, particularly those involving complex numbers, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. It is also a useful tool in engineering and physics.

5. How did Euler come up with this identity?

Euler's identity was derived by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He combined his knowledge of trigonometry and complex numbers to create this equation, which has since been recognized as one of the most remarkable and influential formulas in mathematics.