1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recasting integration variable

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Recast the integration variable of the following integral to da

[tex]\tau[/tex]=[tex]\int[/tex]k dr

k is a positive constant

2. Relevant equations

dr= c*dt/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea, I'm sure it's something really simple, but I really just can't think.

btw, this is part of a bigger problem, that I know how to solve, but I've forgotten how to do this.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi maddav! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    Do you mean dt rather than da? :confused:

If not, can you tell us the bigger problem, so we can see what it all means? :smile:

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If, as tiny tim suggested, you meant "recast to dt", then just replace the "dr" in the integral with "cdt/a" which you say is equal to it.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4
    Yeah, the problem was less mathematical than i'd assumed, it's a cosmology question, so it's fairly simple.

I initially replaced it with dt (prior to it being suggested here), but of course, i'm told that universe is entirely matter and cosmological constant, so I can just rewrite dt as da using the friedmann equation.

Thanks anyway guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook