Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Receiving E-mails Not Addressed to Me

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Quick question.

I just received an spam-type e-mail that says it was addressed to info@gmail.com, which is obviously not my e-mail. I'm pretty sure this isn't the only e-mail I've received which doesn't appear to have been addressed to me. Why would I be getting e-mails which don't appear to be addressed to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2
    emails contain a lot of 'header' information which is not part of the message itself.
    Much of that can be spoofed without affecting the transmission of the message.
    Scammers also use this fact to make it appear that you received a message from somebody who didn't actually send it.

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3

Drakkith

I see. Thanks rootone!

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've been "blind copied" on an email, probably along w/ thousands of others. Only the single "to" address shows up and it doesn't even have to be a real one. All of the BC's go through regardless. It's a common technique for spam.

6. Sep 19, 2015 #5
    What was the content? Spammy? Click spam :)

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Yep!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook