Using own domain name for e-mail

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the user is switching their personal e-mail address to an address that they use for their web site. They still have to tell everyone their new address, but at least there's no great urgency because the new address leads to the same mailbox as the old one. They are using Fastmail with their own domain and plan to eventually use Gmail or Fastmail with a custom domain.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm switching my personal e-mail to an address @ the domain name that I use for my web site, so that in the future I can switch e-mail providers by pointing the address to the new provider instead of having to tell everyone a new address. Of course, this time I still have to tell everyone, but at least there's no great urgency because the new address leads to the same mailbox as the old one.

Right now, my new address points to a mailbox on my web-hosting server, which forwards everything to my Yahoo account. This is a paid Yahoo account, not a free one. I have my new address set up as an alias in my Yahoo account, so I can send mail from there.

I can also connect directly to my web-hosting e-mail account with Thunderbird, but I prefer seeing everything together in one place and I'm familiar with the Yahoo interface.

This works (so far), but it leaves a copy of all my mail (to the new address) in my web-hosting account so I have to clean it out occasionally. Also, I'd prefer to have my e-mail and web hosting separate so as not to put too many eggs in one basket. So eventually I'd like to bypass my web-hosting e-mail account by pointing my DNS to something like Gmail in G Suite (formerly Google Apps for Work), or Fastmail. Both of them allow custom domains and cost $5/month or $50/year. That kind of cost isn't a problem for me.

If you use a personal domain, which e-mail provider and what kind of arrangement do you use?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've been using Fastmail with my own domain for about two years. I've had no problems with it. The plan names and prices have changed since I first signed up. Apparently they're letting current users keep they're original plans because I'm only paying $25 per year, but now you have to buy the $50 plan to be able to use your own domain. However, the $50 plan gives you more storage space than the plan I have.

The user interface for mail and account settings is fast and mostly easy to use, but I remember that getting everything set up was confusing and time consuming. But that was probably because it was my first time setting up something like this. Fastmail is the only service like this that I've used so I cannot do a comparison. All I can say is that I have been satisfied with the price and service.

PF uses G Suite. It's easy and I'll not use anything but gmail these days.

A plus for G Suite: the college where I work uses the educational version for students/faculty/staff, so I'm familiar with it already. I originally got the Yahoo account mainly for things like registering for commercial websites.

I have a personal domain that's so old it's listed in the old .uucp "Bang-path" UUCPNET address directory. I still used it for official email with my own personal mail SMTP server with pop3 and imap services using UUCP over TCP/IP via ssh. I have a GoDaddy domain account (registering for commercial websites, etc ...) that forwards e-mail to my personal domain. For a client I use anything that has smtp, pop3 or imap.

1. What is the benefit of using my own domain name for e-mail?

Using your own domain name for e-mail allows you to have a professional, personalized email address that reflects your brand or business. It also gives you more control and flexibility over your email account, as well as increased security and privacy.

2. How do I set up my own domain name for e-mail?

To set up your own domain name for e-mail, you will need to purchase a domain name from a domain registrar and then sign up for an email hosting service. The hosting service will provide you with the necessary tools and instructions to link your domain name to your email account.

3. Can I still use my current email address if I switch to my own domain name?

Yes, you can continue to use your current email address while transitioning to your own domain name. You can set up email forwarding to ensure that all emails sent to your old address are automatically forwarded to your new address.

4. Are there any downsides to using my own domain name for e-mail?

One potential downside is the cost of purchasing a domain name and email hosting service. Additionally, setting up and managing your own domain name for email may require some technical knowledge or assistance, depending on the hosting service you choose.

5. Can I use my own domain name for e-mail on multiple devices?

Yes, you can access your email on multiple devices, such as your computer, phone, or tablet, as long as they are connected to the internet. Most email hosting services offer webmail access and support for popular email clients, so you can choose the method that works best for you.