1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recombination Lines - Astrophysics

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For an atom X, the high-n levels have energies ##E_n = -\mu \frac{(\alpha c)^2}{n^2}## with ##\alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c}##

Find the frequency shift ##\nu_{Hen\alpha} - \nu_{Hn\alpha}## for ##n\alpha## giving a transition frequency near 142MHz

(The notation here means that the electron moves by one energy level)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##E_f - E_i = -\mu \frac{(\alpha c)^2}{(n-1)^2} + \mu \frac{(\alpha c)^2}{n^2}##

## = \mu (\alpha c)^2 (\frac{1}{n^2} - \frac{1}{(n-1)^2}) = h\nu##

rearranging and simplifying leads to

##\frac{1-2n}{(n-1)^2 n^2} = \frac{h \nu}{\mu (\alpha c)^2}##

Using a simplification I found justified here: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/Recombination.html

##\frac{1-2n}{(n-1)^2 n^2} \approx \frac{2}{n^3}##

which leads to

##n \approx (\frac{2 \mu (\alpha c)^2}{h \nu})^{\frac{1}{3}}##

solving for n using the value of the fine structure constant given in the question (which is in cgs units I believe), I get nonsense answers of ##n < 1##.

Using the value of ##\alpha = \frac{ke^2}{\hbar c}## in SI units, I get values of n that produce the correct frequency when plugged back into my formula, but do not agree with radio combination lines that I looked up here: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1968ApJS...16..143L

For example, using the fine structure constant in SI units, for Hydrogen I find ##n = 452##, which when plugged into

##\nu = \frac{\mu (\alpha c)^2}{h} (\frac{1}{n^2} - \frac{1}{(n-1)^2})##

I get ##\nu = 142.5MHz##, but from the above link I find that the transition should correspond to n=359.

I'm really struggling to get my head around where the discrepancy lies.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

EDIT - Ok, so I was using the wrong units for ##e## which solves my concerns about the fine structure's value, which is dimensionless. However, I am still stuck regarding the discrepancy between my calculated n values, and those I have found in the literature.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you are off by a factor of 2 in this formula.

4. Dec 2, 2016 #3
    A factor of 1/2 would make more sense I think - It would recover the ground state energy of Hydrogen and make my solutions for n match up with the recombination lines I linked to in my post.

5. Dec 2, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted