Recommend a book for Optical physics

In summary, Ranga is looking for a book recommendation for optical physics and is interested in learning about fundamental aspects of light and terms such as focus, blur, and aberrations. They have a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and a strong understanding of mathematics. Two recommended books are Modern Optical Engineering by Warren J. Smith and Hecht Optics, with Born & Wolf's "Principles of Optics" also being mentioned.
blue_mind
Hello,

Can someone recommend a book for Optical physics? I am keen to learn rigorously some fundamental aspects of light passing through various mediums (lens). I want to understand terms such as focus, blur, aberrations etc.

-Ranga

Science news on Phys.org
What is your current education level and background?

Drakkith said:
What is your current education level and background?

Hi,

I have a Bachelor's in Mech. and I am a Mechanical engineer. I am good at Maths. I can visualize calculus very well. Let me know if you need more information?

-Ranga

Well, you could try Modern Optical Engineering, by Warren J. Smith.
It's the recommended textbook for my Geometrical Optics class and should cover everything you've asked for.

Hecht - optics

I've been using this book for my optics module at university. So I think it will suit you.

Thank you.

Born & Wolf "Principles of Optics". The classic with free download.

1. What is the best book for learning about optical physics?

One highly recommended book for learning about optical physics is "Introduction to Modern Optics" by Grant R. Fowles. It provides a comprehensive overview of the principles and applications of optical physics, making it a great resource for both beginners and advanced learners.

2. Are there any books that focus specifically on practical applications of optical physics?

Yes, "Optical Physics for Babies" by Chris Ferrie is a great book that introduces young readers to the practical applications of optical physics in everyday life. It uses simple language and illustrations to explain concepts such as reflection, refraction, and color.

3. Is there a book that covers both classical and modern optical physics?

"Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light" by Max Born and Emil Wolf is a classic book that covers both classical and modern optical physics. It is a comprehensive and authoritative resource for understanding the fundamental principles of optics.

4. Can you recommend a book that is suitable for self-study in optical physics?

"Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis Jenkins and Harvey White is a highly recommended book for self-study in optical physics. It presents the concepts in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for self-learners to understand and apply the principles of optical physics.

5. Are there any books that focus on the latest developments in optical physics?

"Modern Optics" by B.D. Guenther is a book that focuses on the latest developments in optical physics. It covers topics such as wave optics, quantum optics, and nonlinear optics, providing readers with a comprehensive understanding of the current state of the field.