Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics Grad Programs

In summary, The conversation is about a person with a degree in chemistry who is working towards another degree in physics and plans to attend grad school in about four years. They are looking for recommendations on the best graduate programs in atomic, molecular, and optical physics and for information on current problems being tackled in the AMO community. Some suggestions for programs and research areas are JILA/University of Colorado-Boulder, Purdue, Georgia Tech, MIT, Rice, and UConn.
Moonshine
Hello everybody,

I currently have a degree in chemistry and I am working on another in physics. I plan on going to grad school when I finish the second degree. That will probably be in four years or so. I'm working full time for the next couple of years while taking classes and then I will pursue the physics degree full-time (bills, ugh).

I'm trying to find out what the best graduate programs in atomic, molecular, and optical physics programs are, but I haven't been able to find all that much. I just thought somebody may be able to point me in the right direction.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in with some major problems that are currently being tackled by the AMO community, feel free to do so. Book recommendations would be cool too!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bose-Einstein condensation and the study of ultracold gases and molecules are one of the hottest AMO fields right now (and happens to be what I'm pursuing).

JILA/University of Colorado-Boulder is big in AMO.

At Purdue, we're just getting an ultracold atoms and molecules collaboration going between two groups.

Georgia Tech, MIT (esp. Ketterle), Rice (esp. Hulet), and UConn come to mind as places I've been reading a bunch of papers out of. Depends partially if you want to do theory or experiment too, though it may be too early to tell.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your degrees in both chemistry and physics! That is quite an impressive combination and will definitely open up many opportunities for you in the field of atomic, molecular, and optical physics (AMO).

As for graduate programs, there are many top universities that offer excellent programs in AMO physics. Some notable ones include MIT, Harvard, Caltech, and University of Colorado Boulder. It's important to research and find a program that aligns with your interests and goals. You can also look into the faculty at these universities and see if any of their research interests match yours.

In terms of current problems being tackled by the AMO community, there are numerous exciting areas of research such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and laser cooling and trapping. These are just a few examples, but there are many more. It would be beneficial for you to read up on recent publications and attend conferences to get a better understanding of the current state of the field.

As for book recommendations, some popular ones in the AMO field include "Atomic Physics" by Christopher J. Foot, "Molecular Quantum Mechanics" by Peter W. Atkins and Ronald S. Friedman, and "Optics" by Eugene Hecht. However, it's always a good idea to consult with your professors or colleagues for personalized recommendations based on your specific interests.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Best of luck with your studies and future endeavors in AMO physics!

1. What is Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics?

Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics (AMO) is a specialized field of physics that studies the behavior of atoms, molecules, and light at the atomic and subatomic level. This includes studying the structure, properties, and interactions of these particles.

2. What are some common career paths for graduates of AMO physics programs?

Graduates of AMO physics programs can pursue careers in academia, research and development, or industry. Some common job titles include research scientist, laser engineer, materials scientist, and optical physicist.

3. What skills and background are typically required for admission into an AMO physics graduate program?

Most AMO physics graduate programs require applicants to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and chemistry. Additionally, research experience, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and a passion for the subject are highly valued.

4. Can AMO physics be applied to other fields?

Yes, AMO physics has applications in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, engineering, and even biology. The principles and techniques learned in AMO physics can be utilized to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.

5. What are some current research topics in AMO physics?

Some current research topics in AMO physics include quantum computing, ultrafast laser spectroscopy, atomic clocks, Bose-Einstein condensates, and laser cooling and trapping. These areas of research have potential applications in computing, communication, and precision measurements.