Recommendation for good book for IC Engine design

In summary: Here are some books that may be of help:1. "Engineering Analysis with MATLAB" by Robert D. Furness and William S. Ziegler2. "Design of Industrial Machinery" by J. F. Morrone and J. L. Newby3. "Industrial Engine Design" by D. C. Wise4. "Engineering Mechanics of Machinery" by R. W. Hill and D. J. O'Connell
sci-phy
Hey Everyone,

I'm a mechanical engineering student and I was wondering if there was any good book regarding IC Engine design; which includes timing belt design, camshaft, crankshaft, rocker-arm, pump design etc.. a whole in one package that design engineers use for designing ic engines.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does "IC" stand for? I might guess "internal combustion" but would rather you say what you mean, please. After that, folks may feel more confident in understanding your meaning and would be able to offer more meaningful comments.

Bobbywhy

Thanks for your advice! newbie here. Will keep that in mind :smile:

I was just looking for a book or any other reference to understand design of Internal Combustion engines. Most books talk about air std cycles, radiators, carburetors and their thermodynamics etc.. I would like to know about design of camshaft, valve timing, crankshaft, timing belts ( material, gear ratios), oil and water pump design, rocker arm mechanism and design etc... Can you suggest some books for the same?

Thanks for the clarification. Using the Google search terms “design of camshaft, valve timing, crankshaft, timing belts ( material, gear ratios), oil and water pump design, rocker arm mechanism and design” I found this 62 page pdf file:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AV-df_4ogiVCE3fGA&sig2=ydnmSPFnWdvggqEsM2X8nw
that goes into a lot of the details you asked about. There were several more to choose from. Good luck.
Bobbywhy

Wow! Thanks! It was really helpful :smile:

If it wouldn't be much trouble, can u also please suggest any good books/ref for the analytical design part? Like theoretical design of cams based on valve timing diagram, timing belts, crankshaft and it's balancing, design of rocker arms and it's springs, design of flywheels etc.. I'm really interested to know how the entire engine works as one giant unit of mechanisms since each and every mechanism depends on the other. So, where do you start designing from?

Thanks again :smile:

What is the best book for learning about IC Engine design?

The best book for learning about IC Engine design is "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" by John Heywood. It covers all aspects of IC Engine design, from thermodynamics to combustion to emissions control.

Are there any other recommended books for IC Engine design?

Yes, "Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine" by Willard Pulkrabek and "Internal Combustion Engines" by V. Ganesan are also highly recommended for learning about IC Engine design.

Is it necessary to have a background in engineering to understand these books?

While having a background in engineering can certainly help in understanding the technical concepts in these books, they are written in a way that is accessible to those without an engineering background. However, a basic understanding of thermodynamics and mechanics is recommended.

Do these books cover both gasoline and diesel engines?

Yes, all three of the recommended books cover both gasoline and diesel engines. They provide a comprehensive overview of the design and operation of both types of engines.

Are there any newer editions of these books available?

Yes, all three of the recommended books have newer editions available. It is recommended to get the latest edition for the most up-to-date information on IC Engine design.