Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Recommendation of a textbook about Introduction to Physics

1. Feb 9, 2019 #1
    Can someone recommend me a textbook about Introduction to Physics (college level)? I would thank a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2019 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Which part of Physics? Mechanics, E&M, Waves, Basic Quantum, etc.? Or all of that? Have you had calculus yet?

4. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM #3
    Hey there, Berkeman!
    I had Calculus last semester but I repeated by healthcare questions. About the Intro Physics, it's the beggining. My professor passed me Eudoxus to Einstein, but it's a theoritical book. I would like a book 50% theoritical and 50% practical. I confess I didn't like a lot the book, it doesn't combine with me, although I have passed in the subject. The book pleased me little, so I wanted a book that was both practical and didactic

5. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:47 PM #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In the US, there are several commonly-used textbooks for introductory calculus-based university physics courses. Two that come to my mind immediately are Halliday / Resnick / Walker Fundamentals of Physics, and Young / Freedman University Physics. If you look them up on Amazon, you will get links to other similar textbooks. They're mostly very similar in content, and the choice between them comes down basically to the course instructor's personal preference.

6. Feb 13, 2019 at 6:38 PM #5
    The Feynman Lectures on Physics are an old favorite. IMO, it is a very interesting approach. However, be forewarned, it isn't that helpful in actually solving homework problems. Everyone likes it (Physicists, anyway), but virtually no universities select it as their introductory textbook for that reason.

7. Feb 14, 2019 at 2:39 PM #6
    Thanks a lot all folks, and thank you for helped me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?