1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Recommended College Math Courses

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    which courses would you recommend a math major to take beyond the major requirements? I feel like 2 semesters in algebra, analysis, and topology are the basic necessities. Should I look at anything else? Any suggestions in applied maths?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    Differential Geometry was a fun extracurricular course, also Cryptography.

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    elliptic integrals-learn about those
    extremely useful

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    Numerical analysis? Graph theory and combinatorics? Theoretical CS? Algorithms? Classical / Quantum / Relativistic / Statistical / Fluid / Solid mechanics? Economics?

6. Mar 2, 2009 #5
    The essential thing missing from your list is a year of algebraic topology / differential geometry.

7. Mar 2, 2009 #6

j93

I would take courses on stochastic variables and calclulus.

8. Mar 2, 2009 #7
    You will probably need complex analysis. Functional analysis and differentiable manifolds are also very useful.

9. Mar 3, 2009 #8
    How are these useful?

10. Mar 3, 2009 #9
    are differential equations included in the basic courses?

11. Mar 3, 2009 #10

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

There tons of useful math, it depends on what are you specializing... and sometimes it depends on your research...

12. Mar 10, 2009 #11
    Combinatorics and probability were fun.

13. Mar 10, 2009 #12
    Once someone gets algebra and analysis (the real stuff, not an introductory course) down, I suppose next are some topology (algebraic too!) ODE, and differential geometry. But if someone comes this far, the person surely knows what to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook