Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recorded (Sound) Message: Turning it into a File (How to)

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,

I have a very basic , bare-bones phone, with no web access. It does allow, though, for
    others to leave recorded (sound) messages.The phone does have a USB port, and I do have a
    USB cable. Now, my question is, how can I turn a recorded message into a file I can store in my computer? The the message is not, AFAIK, stored as a file, so I don't know how to either transfer it to my computer with the USB cable, nor how to send it over the phone to someone else who may be able to turn it into some sort of sound file.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When you plug the USB cable from your phone into your PC, does the PC recognize the phone as a USB device, or is the cable just used for recharging your phone's battery?

If it recognizes your phone as a USB device, do you have drivers and software on your PC to let you get into your phone? (Like to see the Contacts directory, and the log of recent calls, voicemails, etc.)

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Berkeman, good questions; let me wait until I get home to check with my own computer.

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

BTW, even if you cannot access your phone files via USB, you can still record the voicemails with your PC/Laptop microphone. Just play the voicemail (either regular or with speakerphone on your phone) into the PC/Laptop microphone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook