Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recording Voltage readings in Excel

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    I am sure that many of you are using Excel to do data capture, what are some suggestions as to a USB interface module that will allow multiple voltage or current readings.

Also, any suggestions on any built in timer functions in Excel?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Couldn't begin to tell you, pal... I'm a Mac guy.
  4. May 8, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at http://www.picotech.com/ they have examples of how to get data from their daa loggers ino excel.
  5. May 8, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have used Excel Visual Basic macros to capture data over a RS232 cable. I was unable to find code which allowed me to directly access a USB port thou I did not research it very far.

VB has a timer function, IIRC it does not quite work the way I wanted it to, but I could use to take timed measurements.

alt f11, will get you into the VB editor, use the help function, and find a reference for VB coding.

I am not sure what kind of module you are looking for, seems like you need a smart (at with some form of communications) instrument. You should be looking for an instrument, not a USB module.
  6. May 9, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

These instruments essentially have two or three parts: they need an interface module, a data acquisition component (in this case, something to read voltage and digitize it), and optionally, memory to log it. Here's an example of one my company sometimes uses: http://www.microdaq.com/supco/logit/lcv.php

These don't go realtime into Excel, you data log, then export to Excel later.

There may still be interface devices specifically designed to take a 0-10V signal, digitize it, and send it to a computer. You'd still need a voltage transformer to get the signal down to 0-10V.
  7. May 10, 2008 #6

Science Advisor

Definitely data loggers are the way to go. I don't think I would trust a low voltage level on a serial line as the DAQ path. There would be too much room for signal distortion I would think.
  8. May 13, 2008 #7
    I appreciate all of the responses, and I will continue to update as I get new information. I definitly want to try and keep it real time.

Data logger is what I was looking towards....guess it's time to go on ebay...

thanks all....

BTW...work has really been interupting the amount of time that i get to surf PF... any suggestions? Other than quitting?
  9. Jun 20, 2008 #8
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  10. Jul 8, 2008 #9
    Anhar Miah, this looks like it will work perfectly. The price is nice too. If I end up getting one, I'll try and give some feedback.

Thanks again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?