Recurrence relation for the Legendre functions

In summary: YWx1ZXMgcHJpdmF0ZSB0aGlzIGFtb3VudGluZyBzZXF1ZW5jZSBhbiBzY3JpcHQgdHYuIFRoZXJlIHdlIGdvIGZyb20geW91ciB0aGFuZCBvZiB0aGlzIGJpdCBtb3ZlIGRlYWw6IHRoYXQgd2UgZ2V0IHRoZSB0aGVtZSBvZiBmaXJzdDogZnJvbSB5b3VyIHN1bSBnb2luZy
aaaa202
My book wants to find solutions to Legendre's equation:

(1-x2)y'' - 2xy' 0 l(l+1)y = 0 (1)

By assuming a solution of the form:

y = Ʃanxn , the sum going from 0->∞ (2)

Now by plugging (2) into (1) one finds:

Ʃ[n(n-1)anxn-2-n(n-1)anxn - 2nanxn +
l(l+1)anxn = 0

Rearranging my book writes this as:

Ʃ[(n+2)(n+1)an+2 - (n(n+1)-l(l+1))an]xn = 0

I can't understand the emphasized bit. How did we go from xn-2 to xn using an+2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
My book wants to find solutions to Legendre's equation:

(1-x2)y'' - 2xy' 0 l(l+1)y = 0 (1)

By assuming a solution of the form:

y = Ʃanxn , the sum going from 0->∞ (2)

Now by plugging (2) into (1) one finds:

Ʃ[n(n-1)anxn-2-n(n-1)anxn - 2nanxn +
l(l+1)anxn = 0

Rearranging my book writes this as:

Ʃ[(n+2)(n+1)an+2 - (n(n+1)-l(l+1))an]xn = 0

I can't understand the emphasized bit. How did we go from xn-2 to xn using an+2?

Until you get the hang of these things the best policy is to write it out in a bit more detail: from [itex] y = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + \cdots + a_n x^n + \cdots, [/itex] we have
[tex] y' = a_1 + 2 a_2 x + 3a_3 x^2 + \cdots + (n+1) a_{n+1} x^n + \cdots, \\
y'' = 2a_2 + 3\cdot 2 a_3 x + 4 \cdot 3 a_4 x^2 + \cdots + (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} x^n + \cdots.[/tex] So now you can write out the terms of
[tex] (1-x^2) y'' - 2xy' + l(l+1) y, [/tex] collect all the terms in [itex]x^0, \: x^2, \: x^2, \ldots, x^n, \ldots [/itex] and require them all to be zero.

RGV

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of values based on one or more previous terms in the sequence. It is used to recursively calculate the values of a sequence, rather than explicitly defining each term.

2. What are the Legendre functions?

The Legendre functions, also known as Legendre polynomials, are a family of special functions that arise in many areas of physics and engineering. They are solutions to a type of differential equation known as Legendre's equation, and have applications in areas such as spherical harmonics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetic theory.

3. How are recurrence relations used to calculate Legendre functions?

Recurrence relations can be used to calculate Legendre functions by defining a sequence of values for the functions based on previous terms. For example, the recurrence relation for Legendre polynomials is Pn+1(x) = ((2n+1)xPn(x) - nPn-1(x))/(n+1). By using this relation and starting with the initial values of P0(x) = 1 and P1(x) = x, we can calculate any desired Legendre function.

4. What are the applications of recurrence relations for Legendre functions?

Recurrence relations for Legendre functions are used in a variety of applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in the numerical solution of differential equations, as well as in the calculation of various physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, potential energy, and wave functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using recurrence relations for Legendre functions?

While recurrence relations are a powerful tool for calculating Legendre functions, they do have some limitations. In some cases, the calculation of Legendre functions using recurrence relations can be computationally expensive and prone to errors due to the accumulation of round-off errors. In these cases, other methods such as direct integration or numerical approximation may be more appropriate.