Recurrence relations discrete math problem

In summary: So in summary, the general solution for the recurrence relation an=6an-1-9an-2+8n+4 is hn=A3n + Bn3n.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the following recurrence relations (defined n≥2).

c) an=6an-1-9an-2+8n+4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

an=6an-1-9an-2+8n+4

8n+4= an -6an-1+9an-2

R2-6R+9=0

R=3,3

So hn=A(3)n+B(3)n

Assume pn=Cn+Cn2 → This is where I got stuck!

What should my assumption be??

I thought this because RHS =8n+4

so for the 4 I used Cn since 4 is a constant so I put an extra n term...likewise for 8n.

but it turned out to be a mess!

HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
hi charmedbeauty! :smile:
charmedbeauty said:
R2-6R+9=0

R=3,3

So hn=A(3)n+B(3)n

no, if a recurrence relation has a root R repeated k times, the k independent solutions are niRn (0≤i<k) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi charmedbeauty! :smile:no, if a recurrence relation has a root R repeated k times, the k independent solutions are niRn (0≤i<k) :wink:

hmm I am a little confused what should i be?

so i replace hn=A(3)n+B(3)n

with hn=A(3n)+Bn(3n)??

charmedbeauty said:
hmm I am a little confused what should i be?

so i replace hn=A(3)n+B(3)n

with hn=A(3n)+Bn(3n)??

yup! :smile:

(and you can leave out those brackets … A3n + Bn3n :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
yup! :smile:

(and you can leave out those brackets … A3n + Bn3n :wink:)

Thanks.

1. What is a recurrence relation in discrete math?

A recurrence relation in discrete math is a mathematical formula that defines a sequence of values based on previous terms in the sequence. It is commonly used in algorithms and in solving problems involving counting, probability, and other discrete mathematical concepts.

2. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

To solve a recurrence relation, you first need to identify the pattern or formula that defines the sequence. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions to find a closed-form solution for the sequence.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear recurrence relation?

A linear recurrence relation is one in which the next term in the sequence is a linear combination of previous terms, such as T(n) = aT(n-1) + bT(n-2). A non-linear recurrence relation is one in which the next term is not a linear combination of previous terms, such as T(n) = T(n-1)^2 + 1. Non-linear recurrence relations are generally more difficult to solve.

4. What is the significance of solving recurrence relations in discrete math?

Solving recurrence relations is important in discrete math because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of sequences and algorithms. It also has practical applications in computer science, engineering, and other fields where discrete mathematics is used.

5. Can all recurrence relations be solved?

No, not all recurrence relations can be solved. Some may have solutions that cannot be expressed in closed form, while others may be unsolvable due to their complexity. However, many common types of recurrence relations can be solved using various techniques and methods in discrete math.