Nonhomogeneous recurrence relations

In summary, the given recurrence relation can be solved by finding the general solution and a particular solution. The general solution is A12n + A0 and the particular solution can be found by multiplying by n, giving the equation B = 3B - 2B + 3. However, a constant cannot work as a particular solution, so it is suggested to try multiplying by n instead.
Joe626

Homework Statement

Solve the recurrence relation an = 3an−1 −2an−2 +3, a0 = a1 = 1.

Homework Equations

an = general solution + particular solution

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with finding the general solution, which was easy. it ended up being A12n + A0

now I am having trouble solving the particular solution.

since 3 is a constant, we use B as the particular solution this results in:

B = 3B - 2B + 3

which is where i am stuck. If anyone knows how to do this i would be very grateful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Joe626 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the recurrence relation an = 3an−1 −2an−2 +3, a0 = a1 = 1.

Homework Equations

an = general solution + particular solution

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with finding the general solution, which was easy. it ended up being A12n + A0

now I am having trouble solving the particular solution.

since 3 is a constant, we use B as the particular solution this results in:

B = 3B - 2B + 3

which is where i am stuck. If anyone knows how to do this i would be very grateful :)

But a constant is part of the homogeneous solution, so it can't work for the NH. So, similar to what you would do in differential equations, try multiplying by ##n## instead of just a constant. So try ##a_n = Cn## and see if that can work for a particular solution.

1. What is a nonhomogeneous recurrence relation?

A nonhomogeneous recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that relates each term in a sequence to one or more previous terms, but also includes a non-zero constant term. This constant term is what makes the relation "nonhomogeneous".

2. How is a nonhomogeneous recurrence relation different from a homogeneous recurrence relation?

A homogeneous recurrence relation has a constant term of zero, meaning that the equation only relates previous terms in the sequence to each other. In contrast, a nonhomogeneous recurrence relation includes a constant term that is not dependent on previous terms.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonhomogeneous recurrence relations?

Nonhomogeneous recurrence relations can be used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in population growth models, physics equations, and financial forecasting. They can also be used to model the growth and decay of biological populations, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the spread of diseases.

4. How do you solve a nonhomogeneous recurrence relation?

The process for solving a nonhomogeneous recurrence relation involves finding a general solution and a particular solution. The general solution involves solving the associated homogeneous recurrence relation and finding a set of basis solutions. The particular solution involves finding a specific solution to the nonhomogeneous equation through methods such as undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to using nonhomogeneous recurrence relations?

One limitation of nonhomogeneous recurrence relations is that they can only be used for linear equations, meaning that the terms in the sequence must be related to each other in a linear way. Additionally, they may not accurately model complex systems that involve non-linear relationships or external factors that cannot be easily represented in the equation.