Red shift and the maths for gravity

In summary, Hubble's Constant deals with gravity on a general relativistic level, but can also be derived using Newtonian mechanics with some adjustments. The Friedmann equations, which describe the expansion of the universe, are derived from Einstein's field equations and assume a homogeneous and isotropic universe. This leads to the conclusion that the universe is expanding, which results in redshift. Gravity plays a major role in this process, but local effects such as gravitational redshift are not considered in the derivation due to the assumption of homogeneity.
trevor white
I have looked but do not seem to be able to pin down how Hubble's Constant deals with Gravity. Is it considered as Newtonian or Einstein special theory?

Space news on Phys.org
It's unclear on what level you want the answer. You've selected 'A', but the wording of your question suggests you're new to the subject.

Anyway, Friedmann equations are derived from Einstein's field equations (so they're general relativistic). With some fudging they can be derived using Newtonian mechanics. Details here:
http://diposit.ub.edu/dspace/bitstream/2445/59759/1/TFG-Arnau-Romeu-Joan.pdf

that was interesting and you are right should not have been A. Although maybe not as that was part of the answer I was looking for. The assumption in this maths appears to indicate a bias towards an expanding universe which though interesting brings me to my next question. This does not appear to treat gravity as a compounding factor in the red shift of light. would that be a correct assumption?

(Changed thread prefix from A=Advanced/PhD level to I=Intermediate/Undergrad level) :smile:

trevor white said:
The assumption in this maths appears to indicate a bias towards an expanding universe
I don't think that's a fair representation of what's going on in there.
You could say that there are two assumptions used in the derivation: 1) that General Relativity is to a good approximation an accurate theory of gravity, and 2) that the large scale universe is homogeneous and isotropic.
Both assumptions are well-founded in observations, so it's not like we've got much choice there.

Solving the relativistic equations for a homogeneous and isotropic distribution of energy, it is found that there are no static solutions, so the universe has to either expand or contract. Expansion leads to redshift, contraction leads to blueshift.
Again, observations constrain our choices in this matter.

So I'm not sure I know what you mean by bias. Expansion is the conclusion resulting from application of existing knowledge. If you still disagree, please be more specific and point out where you see the bias.

trevor white said:
This does not appear to treat gravity as a compounding factor in the red shift of light.
Compounding in what way? Since redshift is a necessary result of expansion, and expansion (or contraction) is the large-scale behaviour of matter whose dynamics are governed by gravity, then one could say with some degree of accuracy that redshift is the result of gravity. I.e., gravity is why there's the redshift in the first place.

Unless you mean here local effects of gravity, such as gravitational redshift e.g. when light has to climb out of a gravity well or the Integrated Sachs-Wolfe effect. Then no, these are not included, due to the assumption of homogeneity that was used in the derivation.
However, the former doesn't contribute, due to symmetry of the effect, while the latter is taken into account in more detailed treatments (it's also tiny in magnitude when compared to cosmological redshift).

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith

1. What is red shift?

The term "red shift" refers to the phenomenon of light being shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This occurs when the source of light is moving away from the observer. It is an important concept in astronomy and is used to measure the distance and velocity of objects in space.

2. How is red shift related to the expansion of the universe?

The red shift of light from distant galaxies is evidence of the expansion of the universe. This is because the further away a galaxy is, the faster it appears to be moving away from us, resulting in a greater red shift. This supports the theory of the Big Bang, which suggests that the universe is constantly expanding.

3. What is the equation for calculating red shift?

The equation for calculating red shift is z = (Δλ/λ), where z is the red shift, Δλ is the change in the wavelength of light, and λ is the original wavelength of light. This equation is used to determine the distance and velocity of objects in space, as well as the expansion rate of the universe.

4. How does the math for gravity relate to red shift?

The math for gravity plays a crucial role in understanding red shift. In general relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. This curvature affects the path of light, causing it to shift towards the red end of the spectrum when passing through regions of strong gravity, such as near massive objects like galaxies and black holes.

5. Can red shift be used to measure the mass of galaxies?

Yes, red shift can be used to measure the mass of galaxies. By measuring the red shift of light from different parts of a galaxy, scientists can determine the galaxy's rotational speed and use this to calculate its mass. This is known as the Tully-Fisher relation and is an important tool for understanding the distribution of matter in the universe.