Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redirecting lost heat from propane heater

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've got a propane heater out of my deck that I use on cold days to enjoy a fine stogie and a port.

It loses a lot of heat straight up. I'd like to redirect that heat back to me. (But safety first, I know.)

I've been thinking of a simple curved sheet of aluminum suspended above it, but I'm wondering what exactly I'd be redirecting. By the time it's over the heater it's merely warmed air.

Can I reflect the IR? To do that, I imagine my panel would need to be reflective, and positioned differently than directly overhead. It would have to intersect the direct rays from the emitter itself.

(One of the reasons I want to arrange this is because the heater is actually too intense. To get enough heat, I have to sit so close that my knees burn while the rest of me freezes. In essence, I want to diffuse the heat over a larger radiating area.)

What might be an expedient way of using this lost heat?

?temp_hash=0199b328690379a5c330276d83921034.png

image_6319.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, and the metal structures you see in the image are doing exactly that. You can try to extend that concept to a larger mirror.

"Reflect air": you could try to heat something else with the air (which then radiates infrared radiation again), but I guess you don't gain much from that.

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Essentially extending the parabola.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook