1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reducing Circuits to Their Simplest Form

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following circuits could be reduced to a single resistance and a battery by determining the equivalent resistance using combinations of resistors in series and parallel?
    Screenshot.png

A. II and IV only
    B. I and II only
    C. II and III only
    D. I and III only
    E. I and IV only

2. Relevant equations

Parallel: 1/Req = 1/R1+1/R2+...
    Series: Req= R1+R2+....

3. The attempt at a solution

I think 3 and 4 can be eliminated because it seems impossible that you can reduce those to just one resistor.

So I'm thinking the answer is I and II only, but I'm unsure.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Take a closer look at 4. Redraw it (hint: it'll have 3 parallel resistor branches).
    For 2, are you planning to use the delta to Y transformation?

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    I dont even know what you mean by the delta to Y transformation :redface:

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    Don't worry about it then :) It's a transformation that would allow you to change circuit 2 into battery+resistor circuit. Since you said you thought it could be solved, how did you plan on reducing on?

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5
    well the resistors on the outer edges of the diamond are in series. You can reduce those to one resistor each. Then you have 3 resistors in parallel which you can reduce...i think

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6
    For circuit 2? That wouldn't be correct. Every resistor is connected to nodes (point where 3 or more wires meet) at both of its ends. You can only claim that resistors are in series if they do not have a node inbetween them.
    ---R1----R2---- Resistors 1 and 2 are in series

---R1---R2---- Resistors 1 and 2 are NOT in series
    ''''''''''''''|
    '''''''''''''R3
    '''''''''''''|

That is however the correct approach for circuit 4.

8. Apr 12, 2010 #7
    Okay, So I see what your saying. The correct answer would be E. I and IV, unless I've got something wrong out of your explanations...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook