1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing final answer of laplace transform

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is not getting the answer to the laplace transform but instead reducing my answer so i dnt lose marks.

If i work out the laplace transform of:
    L(t^3 * sinh(4t)) to be
    3!/(2(s- 4)^4)- 3!/(s(s+ 4)^4) then how do i add these to get a single fraction? Its doing my head in

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know something has to be multiplied but i have no idea what it is...

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you mean [itex]\mathcal{L}[t^3 \sinh(4t)]=\frac{3!}{2(s- 4)^4}- \frac{3!}{2(s+ 4)^4}[/itex]?

If so, the first thing to do would be get rid of the factorials; [itex]3!=3*2[/itex] and then cancel the 2 in the denominators.

Next, multiply the first fraction (numerator and denominator) by [itex](s+4)^4[/itex] and the second fraction (numerator and denominator) by [itex](s-4)^4[/itex]

Then expand out the numerator and simplify.

You can also simplify the common denominator by noting that [itex](s+4)^4(s-4)^4=[(s+4)(s-4)]^4=(s^2-16)^4[/itex]

4. May 19, 2009 #3
    Yeh thats what i meant.

Awsome, cheers for the help!

thought it was something like that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook