Reduction formula (sinx)^n inequality

In summary, the conversation revolves around a formula J_{m+2} = m+2 - \frac{1}{m} + 2J_m = m + \frac{1}{m} + 2J_m and the question of whether J_{m+2} < J_m or not. The solution suggests using the property of integrals to prove that J_{m+2} < J_m.
kenok1216

Homework Statement

problem 4.PNG

part c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Jm+2=m+2-1/m+2 Jm=m+1/m+2 Jm
hence Jm+2<Jm
should i expend Jm+2 Jm+1 Jm to the term J0 then compare them?
why the inequality is <= but not <?
should i use M.I to proof it??[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kenok1216 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 102041
part c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Jm+2=m+2-1/m+2 Jm=m+1/m+2 Jm
hence Jm+2<Jm
should i expend Jm+2 Jm+1 Jm to the term J0 then compare them?
why the inequality is <= but not <?
should i use M.I to proof it??[/B]

Please stop using a bold font; it looks like you are yelling at us.

Anyway, what does your formula
[tex]J_{m+2} = m+2 - \frac{1}{m} + 2J_m = m + \frac{1}{m} + 2J_m [/tex]
mean, and where does it come from? Is what you wrote exactly what you meant? Do you need to use parentheses to make your expression clearer?

Use the basic property of integrals that if [itex]f(x) \geq g(x)[/itex] for all [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] then [itex]\int_a^b f(x)\,dx \geq \int_a^b g(x)\,dx[/itex].

1. What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical tool used to simplify and solve complex equations or expressions. It involves breaking down a larger equation or expression into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How is a reduction formula used in solving inequalities?

In solving inequalities, a reduction formula is used to simplify the inequality and transform it into a form that is easier to solve. This is done by breaking down the original inequality into smaller, simpler inequalities, and then using mathematical operations to reduce them further until a solution is reached.

3. Can a reduction formula be applied to any inequality?

Yes, a reduction formula can be applied to any inequality, as long as the inequality can be broken down into smaller parts. However, the effectiveness of the reduction formula may vary depending on the complexity of the original inequality.

4. Are there different types of reduction formulas?

Yes, there are different types of reduction formulas, such as trigonometric reduction formulas, polynomial reduction formulas, and exponential reduction formulas. Each type is used to simplify and solve different types of equations or expressions.

5. How do you know when to use a reduction formula in solving an inequality?

A reduction formula is typically used when the inequality involves a repeating pattern or a large exponent. It may also be used when the inequality cannot be solved using other mathematical methods, or when the inequality can be simplified by breaking it down into smaller parts.