References for Building a Website

• Thread starter KonaGorrila
  • Start date
Aloha guys, just looking for advice on some of the better pathways, courses etc. to learn how to develop and build my own website for business purposes.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

What is your current knowledge/skills in web development?
If you are a total beginner, this is very helpful place to begin (based on my own experience):
https://www.w3schools.com/

You will find there many tutorials, examples, templates (usually free to use) etc...

There are a couple of popular website builders out there:
- google blogger
- squarespace
- wix
- etsy

In some cases, they provide the tools to run a business too ie credit card payment methods, product catalogs, client sign-on.

Wix has been pushing a lot of demo ads featuring celebrities that use their product where they show how easy it is to get started.

jtbell

Mentor
There are a couple of popular website builders out there:
- google blogger
- squarespace
- wix
- etsy
A potential problem with these is lack of portability. If your business grows and you later decide you want to move to a different website host or software platform for better performance or whatever, I don't think you can easily (if at all) export your information from one of these website builders. I think you would pretty much have to start over from scratch with a new site.

On the other hand, many website hosts can handle a Wordpress site, besides wordpress.com itself. My understanding is that even if you start on wordpress.com, you can export such a site to any other web host that supports Wordpress, possibly with some "gotchas" involving plugins. And many website hosts offer "one-click" installation of Wordpress from their control panel.

The trade-off is that you have to do more work to get a good-looking Wordpress site off the ground. You have to learn about Wordpress administration: adding content and menus, choosing a theme, security, etc. Other website builders are probably easier to work with, but the result is more cookie-cutter in nature (and as noted above, not portable).

Do you have, or will you want, your own domain name? Something like konagorrila.com (which you can "point" to your site no matter where it's hosted) instead of e.g. konagorrila.wordpress.com (which would have to stay at wordpress.com)?

What do you want your site to do? Do you just want to present information about you and your products, with contact information (e-mail or whatever)? Or do you also want people to be able to order stuff and pay for it, subscribe to a mailing list or newsletter, etc?

Last edited:
This is true. However, if you really outgrow these then you may want to hire a professional to design and maintain your site.

Last edited:
A potential problem with these is lack of portability. If your business grows and you later decide you want to move to a different website host or software platform for better performance or whatever, I don't think you can easily (if at all) export your information from one of these website builders. I think you would pretty much have to start over from scratch with a new site.
That might have been true 15 years ago, but moving web hosts is incredibly simple now that most support Wordpress, Wix, Joomla, etc.

You are right, though, that if you business grows, you may outgrow these cookie cutter platforms, but it depends on what your business needs are.

FWIW, I'm against cookie cutter platforms, but it all depends on the business, the technical ability of the staff, and where your goals lie (and if it can be done reasonably in one of these frameworks).

jtbell

Mentor
moving web hosts is incredibly simple now that most support Wordpress, Wix, Joomla, etc.
Wordpress and Joomla, yes. Wix, no. I've never used Wix myself, but I thought I remembered that those sites weren't portable, so I Googled a bit and found one of Wix's own support pages:

Exporting or Embedding Your Wix Site Elsewhere

Your Wix site and all of its content is hosted exclusively on Wix's servers, and cannot be exported elsewhere.

Specifically, it is not possible to export or embed files, pages or sites, created using the Wix Editor or ADI, to another external destination or host.

Yeah, this is the old corporate strategy to make it difficult for clients to move to another platform. Decades ago it was custom extensions to programming languages and standardization fix that. Now its custom web hosting.

For many of these strategies there are methods to adapt and map to a new hosting platform where you will have varying levels of success.

In the end, your business demands may require you to hire a professional web design team to handle your site but for small businesses the cookie cutter approach can get you started just don't rely on it to do everything.