1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

References for Design Engineers (Must Haves)

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
  4. Sep 3, 2012 #3
    I use "Fundamentals of Machine Component Design" by Juvinall and Marshek every day. Love that textbook. The example problems could of been a lot better though.

5. Sep 4, 2012 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Sep 4, 2012 #5
    Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, 12th edition, Lindeburg.

Its not exceptional for any of the topics it covers; however, it has a few bits and pieces on a wide variety of subjects (enough to jog the memory in the right direction.)

7. Sep 4, 2012 #6
    You might look at

Mechanical Engineer's Data Handbook

James Carvill

This is more affordable than most.

Also some metrology books such as

Mechanical Measurement

Beckwith and Marangoni

8. Sep 4, 2012 #7
    Good stuff. Thanks folks :smile:

9. Sep 5, 2012 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use the Machinery's Handbook nearly every day, especially for calculations/specs regarding fasteners.

Also take a look at www.assistdocs.com, great website for mil-specs and all free!

10. Nov 21, 2012 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Feb 4, 2013 #10
    http://www.utsv.net

I'm not a practicing engineer, but that site contains a lot of free resources on the topics that are covered in Hibbeler's Mechanics of Materials, for example. It's also a good resource for prestressed concrete design, and other random engineering topics.

Like a previous poster said, I also find myself referencing the "mechanics of materials" notes more than anything else..

What specifically were you looking for relating to polymers?

12. Mar 12, 2013 #11
    Zeus Precision Data Charts and Reference Tables for Drawing Office, Toolroom & Workshop
    Is a very handy little pocket book.

Materials for engineers and technicians by Raymond A Higgins ( good for material science)

Materials selection in mechanical design by Michael F Ashby

Mechanics of materials by James M. Gere and Barry J Goodno

And to help out with the maths Higher engineering mathmatics by John Bird.

I find most of john bird books very helpful and get on bestvwith the layout and how the information is presented.

13. Feb 10, 2014 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I get a variety of trade and industrial journals, such as Power Engineering. Generally the articles are short and not highly technical, although they do address issues in industry. Those journals are mostly out for the advertising.

Anyway, one such journal came to my office over the past few months, Product Design & Development.

They have articles on product design, development and testing.

Such an article - The Sphere of Turbulence - discusses some of GE's testing of jet engines.
    http://www.pddnet.com/articles/2014/01/sphere-turbulence

It does have some interesting articles.
    http://www.pddnet.com/sites/pddnet.com/files/PDD_Daily.html

Flying a Glider at the Edge of Space
    http://www.pddnet.com/articles/2013/12/flying-glider-edge-space

Materials in Design
    http://www.pddnet.com/articles/2014/02/materials-design

Theorists Predict New Forms of Exotic Insulating Materials
    http://www.pddnet.com/news/2014/02/theorists-predict-new-forms-exotic-insulating-materials

14. Feb 10, 2014 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Wow, interesting glider article! :smile:

15. Feb 11, 2014 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a nice example of how far above an "aerofoil" (i.e. the mountain) the airflow is affected. Even in the UK, where the hills are mostly under 3000 ft, the gliding altitude record is over 38,000 feet, and flights to 10,000 feet are not particularly special. Records for the duration of flights are no longer accepted, because with modern equipment the main issue is how long the pilot can stay awake, rather than flying skill.

Air density at high altitudes is not really a big deal for the glider (though it is for the pilot). The lift-to-drag ratio doesn't change much, so you just fly faster to get enough lift. In gliding flying competitions, the planes are usually loaded up to the maximum permitted weight with sandbags for the same reason, which might seem counter-intuitive - you want to fly from one thermal to the next as fast as possible.

16. Feb 15, 2014 #15
    i use this book
    Machine Elements. Life and Design-Frederic E . Nystrom , David M . Barlam , and Boris M . Klebanov.

17. May 5, 2014 #16
    How about some Engineering Design books like:
    Engineering Design - George Dieter
    Mechanical Design Process - David Ullman
    To Engineer is Human - Henry Petroski and
    The Science of Design - Gordon Glegg?

18. Aug 17, 2014 #17
    I love the book "From Marconi to Telstar" its all about how radio transmission started.

19. Nov 14, 2014 #18

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Books that I use frequently include --
    Timoshenko - Strength of Materials, Pt. II (Advanced Strength)
    Timoshenko - Vibration Problems in Engineering, 3rd ed. (see note below)
    BICERA - A Handbook of Torsional Vibrations
    Budynas - Advanced Strength and Applied Stress Analysis
    Shigley - Mechanical Engineering Design (mentioned by the OP)
    Spotts - Mechanical Design Analysis

Note: Regarding Timoshenko's Vibs book, I recommend only the 3rd ed (or failing that, the 2nd ed), but none of the later editions. Other co-authors took over the text after the passing of Timoshenko and they bastardized it beyond recognition.

20. Jul 29, 2017 #19
    If you ask chemical engineers they like to have perry's handbook as it contains detailed information about almost every chemical.

21. Jul 29, 2017 #20
    Mechanical Design Analysis by M.F. Spotts (Prentice-Hall, 1964) includes a lot of very good, design oriented analysis information. It is old and may be difficult to locate, but it is very down to earth design analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted