Reflectance and Transmittance of Light in Water-Glass Interface

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
876d34f
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



There's a block of glass and it has a refractive index n = 1.5 and it is put in water.
Randomly polarized light is incident from the water towards the glass at an angle of 53 degrees to the normal.

a) what % p-polarized (part) of the em wave (light) is reflected off the glass? and the % of total incident power of the light is transmitted in the block?




Homework Equations



so my solution I guess is

The Attempt at a Solution



R% (reflectance) = Pr^2/Pi
Hence then if you find Pr , using Pr equation, and Pi but I don't know... how to find those
do I have to derive them?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I don't know how to proceed on this problem

I figure the randomly polarized light has 50% p-polarized and 50% s-polarized so I guess I would figure out the Brewster's Angle.

using

[tex]\tan(\Theta_{B})=\frac{n_{2}}{n_{1}}[/tex]

which gives approximately 49 degrees

do I then use a Fresnel Equation? and then some how find the amount of p-polarized? and that happens to be out of 50 which then is out of 100%?
 
Last edited: