Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflected light from a polarizer

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    Hi Folks,

I have a general question. What happens to unpolarized light once it's reflected from a polarizer?

My best guess is that it's polarized with opposite parity relative to the transmitted light with intensity varying as a function of angle of incidence.

I think my answer applies to any polarizer (linear or circular). If you have a reference that addresses effects upon reflection from a polarizer, I'd be glad to read more. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There are different kinds of polarizers: for example, a Glan-Thomspon prism transmits the orthogonal states in different directions. Polaroid (IIRC) absorbs one component.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry, I did not mention I'm assuming a sheet polarizer. However, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'm just curious about how different the reflected component would be from the transmitted counterpart (in a general sense).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook