Calculate the desired incident polarization of a light beam

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Corwin_S
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Hi I want to calculate the necessary incident polarization of a light beam at a given angle of incidence (theta_i) that reflects off BK7 glass (n = 1.5168) and is linearly polarized (i.e., 45 degrees). I know how to do similar calculations for incident natural unpolarized light, but not in the case of incoming polarized light.

Cheers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Corwin_S said:
Hi I want to calculate the necessary incident polarization of a light beam
What type of polarization is it, linear?
 
The reflected beam comes out linearly polarized (50/50 s/p). I'm trying to find the incoming beam's polarization (assume it is not circularly or ellipitically polarized).
 
Forget my previous comment, if the reflected light is linearly polarized then so is the incoming one for the case of external reflection (##n_2 > n_1##).
Anyway, you have Fresnel equations for TE and TM components:
$$
\frac{E_r^{TE}}{E_i^{TE}} = \frac{n_1\cos \theta_1 - n_2\cos \theta_2}{n_1\cos \theta_1 + n_2\cos \theta_2}
$$
$$
\frac{E_r^{TM}}{E_i^{TM}} = \frac{n_2\cos \theta_1 - n_1\cos \theta_2}{n_2\cos \theta_1 + n_1\cos \theta_2}
$$
Now it's required that ##E_r^{TE}=E_r^{TM}## and that ##\theta_1## is given, from which ##\theta_2## will follow from Snell's law. So, isn't it straightforward to get the ratio of the components of the incoming light?
 
This is completely correct. Those can be called the reflection coefficients of the s and p polarized components. I believe the correct way of determining the polarization of the input is to find the degree of polarization:

V = Ip/(Ip+In)
And I believe, although am not sure, that Ip = Rs + Rp and In = 1/2(Rp + Rn).

Hence given the specs n = 1.5154 @ 650 nm, and the incidence/reflectance angle = 50 degrees, I compute the degree of polarization to be ~66.67%.

I don't know if this is right though.
 
Corwin_S said:
This is completely correct. Those can be called the reflection coefficients of the s and p polarized components. I believe the correct way of determining the polarization of the input is to find the degree of polarization:

V = Ip/(Ip+In)
And I believe, although am not sure, that Ip = Rs + Rp and In = 1/2(Rp + Rn).

Hence given the specs n = 1.5154 @ 650 nm, and the incidence/reflectance angle = 50 degrees, I compute the degree of polarization to be ~66.67%.

I don't know if this is right though.
Correction, n =1.5145