1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection and Absorbtion of Microwaves, also Masers

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    I have tried searching for answers to these questions but i cant seem to find them, so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

How efficiently you can reflect microwaves? I know visible light can be reflected at 99.99% efficiency or something ridiculous like that, is it the same for microwaves?
    Also, how much are microwaves absorbed as they pass through the atmosphere? I havent been able to find any exact figures.
    Finally, does anyone know what is the most powerful continuous-wave maser that's been made?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They can be reflected extremely efficiently; I don't think there is any practical difference between microwaves and light in this respect.

The absorption will depend on the frequency of the microwaves (remember that "microwaves" refer to frequencies from a few hundred MHz up to about 1 THz or so) but also on the atmosphere; the amount of waver vapour (i.e the humidity) can make a huge difference, especially when dealing with higher frequencies.

4. May 25, 2009 #3
    Ive been trying to find some figures for it at certain humidities or certain wavelengths, but i cant really find anything.:frown: I know the "radio window" goes from about 1cm to 11m wavelengths, where microwaves are absorbed very little, but it would be very useful to have some figures to work with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook